Avritt or abf

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by taz125, Jul 16, 2018.

1. taz125

taz125 Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Norman Oklahoma
    Looking at one of these 2 ltl companies if anyone can give input I'd appreciate it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    The only Averitt I know is the company with red trucks and red driver uniforms. Unless I'm misinformed, this is a truckload company that pays truckload wages but might also do some LTL for customers. I wouldn't consider them an LTL company. So comparing them, from a driver's perspective, is like comparing apples and oranges. Between the two, ABF is the LTL company I'd look into if you wanted LTL.

If you have ABF in your area, you'll have other LTLs. Try ODFL, Estes, FXF, UPSF, etc... If I'm correct about Averitt, forget about them. Companies like Averitt, Swift, and US Xpress might have day cabs, depending on the area, and offer LTL to customers or shuttle runs for their drivers, but they aren't paying these drivers like LTL companies pay. There's a reason why P&D and linehaul drivers make more money at LTL than truckload company drivers - because LTLs pay more.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  4. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    You are partially misinformed. They are a truckload/dedicated carrier but in the south they are also a LTL carrier.

5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Would you know if they offer "LTL" pay similar to other LTL companies?.

Personally I wouldnt care what type of carrier they were classed as as long as the pay, benefits and schedules were suitable.

6. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    ABF is likely Union hog board however some terminals are wheel board. After a couple of years you will gain seniority but the first couple of years you may get laid off in January and February. Health insurance is outstanding. If you are in the Central States Pension fund it is bankrupt and will end up paying a fraction of what current retirees are getting.

2BucTruck Thanks this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    What is a hog board, if you don't mind? And what's a wheel board?

Was talking with an ABFer who mentioned hog board and wondered about it but didn't 'have time to ask.

8. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Wheel board is first in first out. This is used by road drivers. Hog board also used by road drivers which means the highest seniority driver that is rested with hours to make a trip will be called before a junior. The junior driver on a road board may sit for several days without working but must be available to work.

2BucTruck and speedyk Thank this.
  9. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    They are an LTL/TL company and their LTL pay and the benefits are less than your bigger LTL carriers. You can get on the Trucking Boards blogs and read what their drivers have to say about the pay, benefits and working conditions.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  10. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I used to work for averitt (LTL side) is an okay outfit here are what they offer at least here in Houston.

Top pay is 27.00dls but they start you at 21 dls. If no experience 3 yrs to top out.

Beside doing LTL averitt has what they call LC which takes freight from point A to point B and that only tops out to 21.50, thats where alot drivers get screwed. Lets say you make 22dls or more but if they want you to run LC you will get screwed as they will short changed you with your money.

Fleet equipment is volvos and freightliner all automatics and be prepared to haul 53ft as averitt dont have pups trailers unless they are liftgate and those are used on assigned routes.

Insurance wise they pretty reasonable and have cigna as the main provider.

Every year they have doctors to come to the terminal to check your health and if your healthy your premiums in your insurance will decrease.

As far as routes at least here in houston you usually get between the minum of 10 stops to 16 stops and the pick ups depends where you at in the route as some places have more pick ups than others.

Overall averitt is an okay place to work but if you can get on with ABF by all means good luck.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Were you doing residential deliveries with a 53ft or was it just to places with loading docks?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.