Axle load

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by medhaene, Feb 28, 2017.

1. medhaene

medhaene Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Hello everybody,

At my office we are in the process of developing a system to calculate the axle load of trailers before they are loaded. This is to avoid fines in the future because the government (in Belgium) is becoming more strict.

I was wondering if some of you might have an axle load system in your truck (some new trucks have a system on which they can see their axle load in their cabin). Most of the trucks that we deal with are European semi-trailers with 3 axles on the rear (as seen in the picture). Lengths of the trailers are mostly 45' or 40'.

What I would really like to know is the axle load on the front and back axle of the tractor (with an EMPTY trailer attached) and on the rear axle of the trailer.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Too many variables.
    Tractors differ in empty weight.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A lot of trucks in NA use suspension pressure gauges and/or load cells. The technology is already here to do what you're asking. Just a matter of calibrating the gauges or controller to the individual tractor and the individual trailer.

5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I know this doesnt specifically answer your specific question but, as daf105paccar posted, there are too many variables.

A guy who loads on a daily basis should know how to load the trailer so its legal. I mean its like needing a formula to DRIVE the truck. There are too many variables. Experience is the only thing that is going to get product loaded day after day, load after load, legally in general situations.

This or either we dont understand your question & what specifically your getting at.

In general response to your question, a good loader is your best option. He will have the formula in his head. Its experience.

6. medhaene

medhaene Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Hello everybody and thanks for your answers. I am aware of the fact that there are many variables and these have been incorporated in the program as variables that can be changed. All I am asking is what the axle weights are of your empty semi-trailer or a specific empty semi-trailer that you are driving. For example I have received this from someone who has the system that I was talking about (language is in dutch; "aslast" = axle load):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Reason for edit: clarification
  7. CanLogic

CanLogic Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hey, I think I can help you out (if you still need any help).

What make/model is your vehicle? We can possibly have a chat with some of our partners with similar vehicles and have a look.

8. medhaene

medhaene Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Hey CanLogic,
    We only fill the trucks with our goods but our private partners do the transportation. All the trucks that are used are similar to the one on the picture in my first post. So a five axle combination with a two axle tractor and a trailer with three rear axles. What I am trying to do is gathering samples of the values of these axle load systems for empty truck-trailer combinations, as in the pictures I posted in my reply on Feb 28.

Thanks!

9. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    2012 Kenworth T660 daycab super singles. Great Dane 53' dry van with duals.
    5150kg.
    6870kg.
    5090kg.

10. CanLogic

CanLogic Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2017
    United Kingdom
    One of our guys have a Volvo FH 2013 that shows 5.6 on the rear, 1.5 on the trailer.

Another has a 2016 Mercedes Actros and it shows 5 on the rear, 1.5 on the trailer as well.

Though the trailers on those are 12.5m long, so I'm not sure if it's any helpful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.