Axle overweight ticket

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by bruce25, Jul 28, 2022.

1. bruce25

bruce25 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Got a 150$ ticket for over the weight limit on trailer axles 43k total gross 74k fair enough and just pay it?? or Get the lawyer to fight it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Just pay it... Its just an overweight

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    150 bucks. It's gonna take 10 times that amount to get a lawyer to deal with it. Pay it and move on that's a cheap ticket.

5. bruce25

bruce25 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    No i get that it's not much but i was taken back that he would give me a ticket even though im under gross. I get that 36k per axle is limit but it's a adjustable axle i asked if u could adjust it and i would be in limit but he wouldn't give me that.guess i was just bummed out since i haven't gotten a ticket in 7 years

6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    There's no ...2nd chances... in a over weight ticket
    Face it you were over on your axle when they weighed you
    They don't let you make it right for free
    Just pay it and go on

bzinger, Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  7. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    If it’s your fault then it is what it is
    I’ve had shippers tell me the load is say 40k
    All my gauges were correct but scaled overweight
    The shipper paid the fine but I sorta think they new it was heavy and got X amount more shipped for $100

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    You're lucky it is only $150. Many states nail you for alot more money on overweight. Just pay it and feel grateful it wasn't more. It isn't a moving violation and doesn't really hurt your record. Just your wallet and pride.
    Without exception it is your fault. Extenuating circumstances may exist, but in the end they don't matter. Fess up to it so you can learn what not to do next time.
    I had a similar one. BOL said 33,000 lbs of cargo. Load picked up just South of LA. Area is a mess to drive around, but I was right by I-5. So, just hopped on the Interstate and headed North. At 33,000 lbs, I wasn't too worried about weight, but did intend to scale. Just as I was getting out of LA area, got pulled through a CA weigh station. Rolled across, no problem. Headed on Northward. In Northern CA, got pulled into another CA weigh station. Again, rolled across and no problems. By now, figured no need to scale. Crossed into Oregon, pulled into the Poimt of Entry weigh station and was 1700 lbs over on tandems. Ticket was $150. Load was actually 44,000 lbs. Lesson learned, don't trust BOL weight and don't assume weigh station actually weighs you. When any doubt, scale.

bzinger, GYPSY65, dunchues and 2 others Thank this.
  9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    You got off cheaper than I did. I got hit with $300 years ago.

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Some states charge by the pound... How much would it have been at say $0.25 per pound over legal limit??? Think about that as you write that $150.00 check.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    43k on a axle group is pretty far over if its a tandem. If its a spread axle i can understand. Ive been way heavier than that and got away with it a couple times. I rolled over the post falls id scale 93k one morning knowing i was heavy but #### near #### myself when i saw that readout. Luckily guy wasnt paying attention or didnt notice i was only a 5 axle rig.. Overwight ticket isnt really a regular ticket. Doesnt go on ur driving record. Its more of a pay this fine to pass go type of thing

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.