Babysitting your driver

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Tigeroop, Oct 20, 2020.

1. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Good drivers aren’t looking for jobs. If you want to have top notch guys it’s very expensive and you better have good benefits. If I were to take a new job based on salary it’s got to be around 100000.00 with decent benefits. I suspect my next job isn’t going to be based on salary.

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    To the Op, don't be offended by what I say.

@TallJoe

Don't feel resentment, I think the right thing to feel is pity.

Here's a guy that went through all the expense of buying a truck and paying insurance and I assume having his own authority unless he's maybe leased on somewhere, and he really has no idea what's going on.

And again, no offense, but he hired a guy that he knew has gotten fired for doing a terrible job.

And he probably hired him because he was desperate for a driver, and that was probably the best that he could find- a reject that nobody else wanted and all other employers knew he would be bad for their business.

And that's the guy that is 100% responsible for his business. That's the guy that the customers see when it's XYZ Trucking. That's the guy that actually earns the money for that business, and if he's late or doesn't show up or steals fuel or destroys the truck, oh well.

This is just my opinion, but to me, what he is doing is no different than picking a name out of a hat and saying I'm going to give you all of the money that I earn every single week.

I don't really know you I don't really know very much about you, I know you've been fired here and there and you're problematic, but here is all of the money that I earn every single week, take it, invest in the stock market do whatever you think is best and I know nothing about stocks I know nothing about anything just let me know how much money I made.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but that's not someone to resent.

Now you know what the statistics are, and we don't particularly know this individual's situation, but he most certainly sounds like someone that will contribute to that statistic.

Now he may or may not become that statistic, but that's certainly not a situation I would want to be in and I know Joe you would not either.

86scotty, Dale thompson and TallJoe Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am not really so sure any more how much of a weight the word "resentment" semantically carries. Certainly, I don't feel any hate to OP. Perhaps a different expression should have been used.
    What I wanted to convey is this:
    If we, truck drivers, owner operators, have spent quite a chunk of our lives at this profession, we want to feel that such experience and/or hardship accounts for something. It hurts the soul to see a CNC operator or a retired biology teacher to think that they can buy a truck, hire a guy and put to work for Amazon... and be like us...equal and all. I do realize that there is vanity speaking through me now but I'd rather see this industry like many others...You can't become a full fledged lumberjack just because you bought yourself an axe and saw.

5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I get what you're saying but it's not equal.

Do you feel equal to a guy that went into a business that he doesn't know much about, doesn't have a CDL license, has a driver that takes advantage of him because that's the best that he can get, and it's not sure what to do about it, and if he fires that guy he can't even run his own truck, he has zero income, and he has nothing but expenses ahead of him.

And we still don't know if he got insurance rates for himself with zero experience driving the truck.

That could end it all right there.

Badmon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.