Back at it Again…

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by flatlined, Dec 11, 2022.

1. flatlined

flatlined Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Since I can’t seem to stay away from driving, for one reason or another, I guess il going back.

I left of my own accord and have a clean record. A little over 18 months of experience and I live about an hour outside of Knoxville (my nearest major city). I can stay out 4+ weeks. Prefer to avoid the northeast.

I’m looking for some advice on where to go. I’ve been sitting through this forum for over a month now and doing a lot of research and I have a handful of companies I’m looking at. But I’d like to hear opinions.

I have to be able to bring my dog and my wife immediately.

I have to have some kind of climate control (EPU/APU/Optidle). Because if my asthma and allergies, I can’t do the windows open thing. I know that seems trivial, but I get sick. And when I get sick it sticks. I’m currently on my 3rd week fighting bronchitis.

I have to have a fridge.

Pay needs to be .55 or higher per mile. Yes I have heard all the comments about how money doesn’t matter if you don’t get miles. I left .58 cpm for .50 cpm on the promise of miles and bonuses. The miles didn’t make it up and the bonuses didn’t happen.

I’ve tried to drive for Pride before and I had a bad experience before I ever even got hired. So they are a no go. I’m also not interested in FCC. I see those two suggested a lot and they aren’t for me.

I have doubles/triples, Tanker, TWIC, and a passport (my wife still needs her passport though). No desire to drive hazmat and the wife has no desire to drive.

I’ve been looking at these companies (my “short list”)

GP Transco
    Kennesaw
    Schuster
    Abilene
    RE Garrison
    Titan Transfer
    JS Helwig
    Danny Herman (I know their cpm is low, but the freight and D/H percentage has me on the fence with them)
    I’ve also looked at magnum, but their reviews talk about them sitting a lot on docks (repeat shippers with problems) and frequenting NJ.

I’m iffy on the reefer freight—which I know a lot of these are. I’ve had bad experiences having off the wall schedules and lack of sleep because of wild appointment times. I had a lot more predictability and consistency when I was dry.

At any rate, I appreciate any help or insight into these companies or any others which might be good.

(As a footnote, I’m not going back to my former company because I was lied to by the recruiter about pay, equipment and miles—shocker. And the company I left before that…well they are restructuring and I’m not sure I can trust their freight strength anymore).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    flatlined Thanks this.
  4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    If you want the inside scoop on the 4th one down on your list, PM me. I’ll give you the info you’ll need to either keep them on your list or remove them.

Lonesome, flatlined and YardMule89 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Holland Enterprises, Inc. - Home
    Holland Enterprises, Inc. - Home
    Bring your spouse to orientation.
    Call about pet policy.
    No-touch freight
    New Equipment
    • Air Ride Tractors and Reefer Trailers
    • Cruise Control
    • Omintracs for ELD
    • Free Sirius XM Radio
    • Free Satellite TV Service
    • Flat Screen TV
    • Forward facing only Smart Drive Camera
    • No Fuel Solutions
    • Air Slide 5th Wheel
    • Engine Brakes
    • Power Mirror
    • APUs on every truck in fleet
    • Power Inverters
    • Refrigerator/Freezer
    • And More

Flat Earth Trucker and flatlined Thank this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Out of your list, I’d be looking at Garrison.

flatlined Thanks this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @flatlined --

Here's another one for you to check out....call and ask 'em about a pet program:

Full Job Description
    CDL Class A OTR Driver earn up to $1800 a week

Tri-National drivers earn top pay, family benefits, and enjoy the most home time in the industry. Team TNi provides newer trucks with the latest features for safety as well as comfort, and stands behind every driver with a dedicated team and 24/7 dispatch. Our runs are repetitive lanes, with no East Coast or West Coast travel!

*Get paid weekly and enjoy the generous home time we offer!*

Experience the Tri-National difference: Apply now or call our recruiting team at (866) 378-5071.

Pay Details:

• Make up to $1800 weekly!
    • $10,000 - Solo Driver Sign On Bonus
    • $25,000 - Team Driver Sign On Bonus
    • Monthly Safety Bonus
    • Fuel Bonus
    • Team Mentor Bonus
    • Up to $3,500 driver referral bonus for every driver referred, NO LIMIT on drivers referred
    • Paid loaded and empty miles
    • Pay for practical miles
    • Direct Deposit
    • Paid weekly
    • Paid tolls and scales
    Health and Benefits:

• Yearly paid vacations
    • Family Health, Dental & Vision
    • 401k + Company Match
    Other Benefits:

• Unlimited Home Time: The most in the industry!
    • 2020-2023 Volvo Trucks
    • Average 3K miles/week
    • Refrigerators and Inverters for comfort
    • 53' Dry Van Fleet
    • Omnitracs System / E-Logs
    • 90% Drop & Hook
    • 100% No-Touch Freight
    • Central States Routing (No east or west coast travel)
    • Passenger Program
    • Mentor Team Driver Program
    • Scanners inside all trucks
    • Dispatch Available 24/7
    Minimum Qualifications:

• Be at least 23 years of age
    • Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
    • 24 months of recent/verifiable OTR driving experience through multiple states.
    About Tri-National

Tri-National, Inc. is a door-to-door transportation service provider, moving freight through the Midwest from Mexico via southwest Texas, into Detroit and Canada. Team TNi is highly regarded in the trucking industry for delivering the highest levels of safety, service and satisfaction to their professional drivers as well as to the customers they serve. Tri-National champions women in transportation, having been recognized as a top company for women to work in the trucking industry for three years running. Learn more about #TeamTNi by visiting www.tri-nat.com, or contact our recruiting team at (866) 378-5071.

Job Type: Full-time

Pay: $80,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year

Benefits:

• 401(k)
    • 401(k) matching
    • Dental insurance
    • Health insurance
    • Paid orientation
    • Paid time off
    • Passenger ride along program
    • Referral program
    • Retirement plan
    • Safety equipment provided
    • Vision insurance
    Supplemental pay types:

• Bonus pay
    • Safety bonus
    • Signing bonus
    Trucking driver type:

• Company driver
    • Solo driver
    • Team driver
    Trucking home time:

• Home weekly
    Trucking route:

• OTR
    Truck Driver Benefits Infographic - Tri National (tri-nat.com)

--Lual

flatlined Thanks this.
  8. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    OKay, now....TNI is a good company. Most reviews are high and the drivers I know from there like everything EXCEPT one key thing. It's a thing that is usually a deal-breaker for most sleeper drivers. Ready?

Sadly, they operate their fleet much like Walmart in the fact that every time you park for your 34+ off, ya gotta completely clean out and wipe down the truck. The reason? You will likely be assigned another tractor upon return to duty. They aren't jerks, they pay well enough, and they are serious about truck maintenance and driver safety/satisfaction. If you have zero problem with switching trucks every single week (or after every 34+ at your home terminal), then it's a great place to go.

lual Thanks this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Can’t “thank” that. Haha.

10. Nsterns

Nsterns Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Rockport Texas
    I noticed TNI has a minimum requirement of 2 years recent OTR through multiple states. Do ya'll think they would wave this if you have 20+ years experience driving all sorts of situations from out of the country to local? I have been working local for a while now.

11. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Overall, companies look for safety issues (if any). That requirement can be flexible, depending on your overall experience, record, and the company. It never hurts to ask. The reason many companies have those requirements is because some local drivers may not understand what true OTR entails. Being home every night versus being home every week or few. Some locals can work 18 hour days but have serious issues adjusting to OTR.

TNI does do true OTR but I believe they prefer teams for that (not sure). Solos, I've been told, usually do regional or local (yes, they do some local). They also do Cross-Border (Mexico), which is 100% teams for obvious reasons. The worst that can happen, really, is they'll team you for a week or two to see how you adjust. But only a recruiter from that company can tell you what to expect. TNI has a large presences here in South Texas, and none of the drivers I've met want to murder their recruiter. I guess that means they are honest.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    lual Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.