Back at it Again…

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by flatlined, Dec 11, 2022.

1. flatlined

flatlined Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Instead of making a new thread I’m just going to revive this one. And forgive me in advance I’ve got a headache I’ve had for over a week straight .

So the short version is I went back to my old company for reasons I won’t get into because they aren’t relevant (mostly time and money related). Things here are fine. I mean certain things irritate me, but that’s anywhere and I get that.

After talking with my wife due to financial circumstances and some other related issues we’ve decided to make this return to trucking longer than originally anticipated. I was hoping to be back home by this summer (another reason I didn’t start with a different company) and now we are looking to spend at least the next year or two on the truck.

Which brings me to why I’m asking for suggestions. Like I said this company is fine, but I’m running the eastern seaboard…a lot. Like a lot a lot. Basically constantly. And I much prefer to be out west. Or at least the western half of the US. If I’m going to keep driving for the next few years I don’t want to spend it running in and out of New Jersey, PA, and Virginia.

I do have a lot of freedom here and I have a good truck and for the most part I can’t complain other than the routes. Yes I’ve talked to them about it, but our freight is heavily on the east coast (it’s not but the teams get everything out west) so it is what it is.

So I’m looking for a company I can run west with more often. I live near Knoxville, TN but I rarely take time off there. I prefer to take it off literally anywhere else. I also have 2 years of experience. With tanker, doubles/triples, TWIC, and a passport. I don’t particularly want to run hazmat but would consider it under certain circumstances. I stay out 2-3 weeks at a time. 4 is my cap. I start getting burnt out past that.

As much as I want to go west there are some things I just can’t go without if I leave here.

I’m making .60 a mile right now with no bonuses. I can’t go anywhere for less than .57 before bonuses. I don’t chase bonuses to make what I make now. So I’m not going to start. I’m also running 2500-3200 miles a week.

I have to have some form of an optidle system, epu, apu, or the ability to just idle the truck. That’s not me being picky that actually is for health reasons.

I need to either have a fridge or be allowed to have a fridge installed. I don’t mind buying one if I have to.

My Wife and Dog must come with me.

No driver facing cameras. I don’t mind the road facing ones. But I don’t do the driver ones.

It feels like a tall ask to find a company I can get comfortable with and really run with. And honestly if this company would let me run out west I’d probably stay here. But I can only handle Washington DC and 81 through Virginia so many times in a week before I want to drive off a cliff (I’m joking I wouldn’t do that but still ).
    At any rate, thanks for the help in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Except I've been out of trucking for 2.5 years, also replace Knoxville with Nashville. Definitely don't want hometime there. I'd rather avoid the state entirely.

Are you serious about teaming with your wife, or do you just plan to have her as a passenger? With your experience you will not have any trouble finding what you want.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
  5. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    What was wrong with the suggestions on page 1?

Here's a recent thread that might be of interest. Companies I’ve driven for/seen that run west coast

I'm really curious what you find as some companies that are western regional just are not flexible on hiring someone from "outside the hiring zone." That's a slight problem I've found. I too prefer to run out west more often than the east, but sometimes it's hard to find a company that doesn't get hung up on the address that's on that cdl.

Would you mind letting me know the company you're currently with (you can contact me by PM)? It doesn't sound like their solo driving would interest me much, but they might have a team position I'd do.

I don't think TLD is what you're looking for. Probably more of the same.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  6. like clay… +++

like clay… +++ Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Northwest Oklahoma
    I think Great Plains is the carrier that sends you out from orientation with a full bag of groceries too.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.