Back hauls

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Big"E", Feb 7, 2010.

1. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

$1.40 and $1.60 lot better than I seen on some rates. I've hauled a load out of Or to IL that paid $1.29. But I had no say in the matter, and I still made my set pay at that time.

I have worked for one company that did not look for back hauls or load home which ever way you want to put it. I would leave out Monday night, and be back home Friday night. Once I emptied out, I headed to the house. Only once I picked up a load to bring back. And it was a challenge. 1000LBS over Gross. Made it from Waco TX to Georgia no problems. Only had 1 Block of Rock on the trailer.

Once I get my own authority, and If I get into hauling from my home town, I could afford to deadhead home. Why wait around for a 1.60 or a 2.00 mile load? But many do not want to haul stuff from here. Either going to be alot of drops (Had up to 18 drops one trip), plus to mention where they going to some has weak hearts and scare to easy. Scared they will see some zombies walking around, or Ghost one....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    $1.40 to $1.60mi in january is not a bad load

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    No such thing as a back load in my book...I load and go, I don't care where as long as the rates are fair and it's going somewhere I know I can get out of.

I have turned down loads that paid pretty good because I knew that I'd have to deadhead three hundred miles to get another load...And I ain't doin' that!

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  5. _ton bundle

_ton bundle Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Elevator Bay, Minnesota
    Getting decent rates out of TX is the hard part. If you have that covered, then then getting good rates back into TX should be relatively easy. I can only speak for the lane that I know, but MN to TX averages $1.60 to $1.80/mi depending on the time of year, sometimes more. The nice thing is that it's not hard to run MPLS to DFW in 24 hours when the weather is decent. MN to TX is a good LTL lane, too. A lot of MN carriers don't like to run to TX because you can't get back.

I'd say to pick a lane and stick with it to build a reputation and contacts. I'd stay out of the SE or the EC as the rates usually suck.

6. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    It's not to hard to get those same rates out of the Omaha area down to Texas. Coming back this way...fugetaboutit.
    I'll go down there and maybe find something in LA or even TX going to Chicagoland and then from there can swing back to the Omaha area.

_ton bundle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.