Back in a T680...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Hick, Jun 22, 2017.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Some of the TA/Petros sell 5' Firesticks and Wilson silverload and I have seen some 680's with 5 1/2 ' Francis antennas, but if the antennas you are currently using are working good no need to buy new ones, IMO.

Hick and bored silly Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    If you go to page 4 and look at thread " T680 mounting, What Have You Done? There are several posts pertaining to this model truck and some radio and antenna install ideas.

Hick Thanks this.
  4. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    That's not too bad of a spot, but it is where I keep everything I might need to grab while driving, so won't work for me :D Good idea though.

I'll never be happy until I get that SWR to 1 or lower. Do you happen to remember where you saw the 5 1/2 Francis at?

Yup saw that, but it's pretty slim pickins there. The one pick of the radio taped to the bottom of the upper console... with my luck I can just see that baby going through the windshield one day. Just no.

But I've got some other problem now. I tested it the other night, did well, 1.5 SWR. Got in the truck today, started it up and checked the SWR before I moved. 2.5 on 1 and over 3 on 40. I shut the truck off and checked again and it was the same thing - high.

I think something in this truck is screwing with it, Maybe the Qualcomm or something. Anyone seen this?

5. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    They sell the 5.5 Francis at the Petro in Kenly Nc I 95 exit 106.

Hick Thanks this.
  6. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Thanks. I might have to try a set of them.

But I still need to figure out why the SWR goes through the roof when the engine starts...

7. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Saw a huge ground problem when a tech in Cartersville was trying to set a antenna on one of those trucks..The driver was trying to figure out how to get a ground on it.

Hick Thanks this.
  8. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016

9. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    Put 2 22" tram/Browning antennas on that truck even with factory coax and you should get your 1:1 match. Or so I've been told. I dunno I didn't like that truck and don't miss driving it. Not enough leg room in there for me behind the drivers seat.

Hick Thanks this.
  10. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Think a couple small tree branches will work? I heard they used to do that in the Army when they were out in the boonies.

11. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Only if the band conditions are right. When the conditions are good it seems you can work the world on a wet shoe string... LOL.

Hick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.