Back in the day . . .

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jack Smithton, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    And what about the movies...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    And before the internet, there was this.
    Dang'd internet is going to put all the adult movie places out of business.

Attached Files:

Passin Thru Thanks this.
  4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

The old mechanical Cats would do the same thing....First time it happened to me it took a few seconds before I realized what was happening!

5. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    I drove one of those GMC astro cab overs, short wheel base, spring ride, 250 cummings engine that we pulled 104,000 pounds with, man going up steep grades even a moped could pass me, that thing was pure hell to drive, no ac. no power steering and it rode like an old wooden wheel wagon. I also got to drive a 1965 ford cabover that had a 534 gas engine and a 6 speed automatic trans no power steering, but it had air brakes and would fly down the road, i actually liked that truck.

6. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I always wore my seat belt in cabovers with springs as when you hit a bump you hit the roof with your head. If it was a BIG bump you could knock yourself freaking unconscious!

I watched a guy have to hit the runway ramp on Black Mountain back in 87-88, I got over to th left so he could go into it and was watching him through my side glass as he hit those stupid mounds of gravel the DOT had put in the ramp and as he went over the first 2 he hit the roof so hard he fell over the steering when and then back into the roof. I pulled over and stopped on the shoulder and went to see if he was ok but he had hit the roof so hard he broke his neck and the next couple of blows just screwed him up worse. He was dead by the time the ambulance got there.

After that I made sure my seat belt was on! And it's been on ever since!

Besides wth just the lap belt it actually helped you sit in the seat better and it wasn't so hard on the back from sliding down in the seat. Now they don't do the same job or as good a job.

7. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    150 degree cab in AZ and running sleeper team, Suicide sleepers, Blue Eyed Indian ran them. Kicking it out west of Flag and going down the hill with the needle buried, climbing the old 2 lane Raton Pass # 13 MPH in a B Model putting out 116 HP and shooting 2 ft of blue flame out the stack. The truckstop in AZ that the propane tank caught fire and blew th place off the map. When Rt 66 was so rough in the 70s that stuff would fly off a FRTL. dash and go on the floor. Running OKC-LA and back to OKC in 56 hrs. Propane powered reefers that backfired when they shutoff. Using a coke can to line up the Dayton style wheels, fixing flat tires. Passing the first Greyhound in my career. The trashy,Angel View then J west of Albuquerque. Buying fuel at the state line of AZ-NM because NM was cheaper. Cutting a piece out of a coke can and putting a small hole in the center then placing it in the return line on a 290 Cummins thus making it a 400. Worked too.

8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Getting food poisoning at Rip Griffins at Moriarity and being sick all the way to San Antonio.

9. jron619

jron619 Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Everybody had a handle back then, right? Rubber Duck, Snowman and so forth........

I ran into an old timer at the poker tables in Yuma, AZ last year. He told me he would leave Dallas with $40 and then deliver in Los Angeles pay for fuel and food and a little side action. He would still have $15 when he returned to momma in Dallas. He also mentioned it only took 3-4 days round trip.

4leggedbucket Thanks this.
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    He forgot to mention his siphon hose .

dunchues, Tractor7127 and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  11. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Without a doubt...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.