Back in the day . . .

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jack Smithton, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I'm glad someone mentioned Petticoat Junction. I remember seeing good looing ladies and good food there in the 70s but the last time I was there it was a little frightening and dirty too. Texaco Truckstop at Texaco NM was another one, small but terrific food, they fueld you, moved your truck and wiped down the windows, then gave you S&H Greenstamps. So did Roswell Truckstop. Couldnt decide which one to eat at sometimes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

The Roswell truckstop...That would be Prices Truckstop in Roswell? They're closed now... The cafe is still open but the truckstop is locked up!

4. Heart of Dixie

Heart of Dixie Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Chelsea, Alabama
    Remember when you either had to pay the Mississippi fuel tax in cash or show the scale man your fuel receipt upon leaving the state? I do not remember any other states doing that.

And let us not forget "Crackerbox Jimmies" and the infamous Emoryville!

Getting written up by Markel Services? I think there were just as many reports on the CB about them as they were about real "Smokies".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  5. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Wasent Markel a company that used to follow you around and let your company know you was speeding and stuff, and they also told you on the radio about it? Seems like I remember that name

6. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    On a rare, for me, trip along the PA Turnpike today, I got to thinking about back when there were more tunnels, they had 2 way traffic, and were lit by incandescent bulbs hanging from the sooty black ceiling.

And the toll wasn't a significant per centage of your line haul like it is now!

'olhand Thanks this.
  7. Volunteer

Volunteer Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Red Sovine. 'nuff said.

8. tut

tut Light Load Member

I know, I know, i'm a wanna-be soon to start class... But I'll put .02 here regarding "back when"....

I remember walking up hill to school, both ways.
    We only had dirt to eat and were glad for it.

I'd go on, but it's boring enough.

9. truckerx1

truckerx1 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I had a 359 with a 3408 and a 5x4 with 3:55's. Let the black smoke roll.
    The free T-Bone at the Bingo was actually a good steak. It was Knox Fuel Stop that had trhe red fuel. Then there was Loretta's over on Cherry Ave. in Fontana. I remember seeing my first T 600 "the anteater" . Stopping at the reservation in Az. buying $5.00 a carton Marlboro's. Hammering down to Shakey then back to the Dirty side. David Bennuix Trucking, Wayne Phillips Trucking and C&L Trucking (chicken lips) from down town Bald Knob Arkansas. I keep hoping I'll wake up and it'll be 1984 again................

Straight Stacks, JRP and puncher Thank this.
  10. truckerx1

truckerx1 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    A bunch of us got snowed in at Gay Johnsons one time. They ran out of food in the restaurant, the store was running out of cigarettes. Some how the beer truck made it through everyday.(we were there for 4 days) We all had to sober up when they finally opened the road before we could leave.

11. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    I'll never forget the 1st time I heard someone talking about a "beaver" on the CB. I was driving a 359 Pete and thought they were talking about me... maybe the truck looked like a beaver??? HAHAHA Recently I mentioned something about a beaver on the CB and noone knew what I was talkin about either!

Was sitting here last night thinking about why I have so much ringing in my ears. It occurred to me that the same 359 with the 318 Yamaha and straight pipes might have something to do with it. The windows were always open. I used to peel cigarette filters and shove em in my ears to reduce the noise. When's the last time you heard "Yamaha"??? :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.