Back pay for working off the clock?

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by Voyager55, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    If your paid by the hour do you get paid for fueling, for hooking up trailers, for checking paperwork?

Yeah you going to say it is covered in the wage.

We are not paid by the hour (well except for UT or ST but for the sake of this discussion not by the hour) all of our activities are paid per piece. By the mile, by the activity, and by the LO.

All related duties to that load are paid at that rate so we are not working for free either. If we were paid by the hour we would not be paid to fuel, inspect etc. We would be receiving a set number per hour. Right now I am paid a set number per activity. Neither is working for free.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voyager55

Voyager55 Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Funny thing is, when you go through orientation and new associate training, they profess and stress their ascension to WOC! But, ask anbody who has driven a WM truck, you do a LOT of extra work, not paid for. And don,t tell me that's part of trucking and that if I really loved the industry, I should accept it and go on. That's BS!

foggy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When 50 million of you knights heir apparent say that's BS, only then you will be paid for every niggling little thing 50 years from now. It would be a victory based on the Selma protest at the lunch counter in a store...

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Your mileage rate assumes a certain length of time spent loading or unloading, fueling, dropping and hooking, inspecting, and completing paper work. If you want it itemized all out for you, you'll have to accept that your mileage rate will go down, and the wage paid for those other activities will likely lead to an actual reduction in your paychecks because somebody is going to have to be paid for THEIR time going back and calculating what you did and how long you did it for.

Think you're "working for free"? Simple enough solution...stop doing the things you don't think you're getting paid to do. How many miles can you drive without fueling the truck? How many loads can you haul without loading, unloading, dropping or hooking? How far can your truck make it without checking the fluids or running it through the shop for maintenance? Because without all of those things happening, the miles stop coming.

x1Heavy and MilkyJay Thank this.
  6. Voyager55

Jan 19, 2018
    You are way out of line here. Lets say for instance, you are an hourly6 employee. You report to work on time, but just before you can clock in your boss asks you to help him move a couple pieces of furniture in the office. Soon, he asks you to pick up some loose files and file them correctly, and help him move and plug in and run wires for a couple computer tetminal6 stations. There is dirt and dust on the floor, so he then asks you to grab a mop and before you know it, it's time for lunch and you haven,t even clocked in yet! Eventually you do, and finish your day, but your short the r hou

7. Voyager55

Jan 19, 2018

8. Hotrod81

Hotrod81 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Y’all sons of #####es don’t even work for Walmart don’t even know what the #### you talking about

9. Voyager55

Jan 19, 2018
    So, for instance, just to simplify things, WM isn,t actually paying , what, 48 cents a mile, and

10. Voyager55

Jan 19, 2018

foggy Thanks this.
  11. TransplantBadger

TransplantBadger Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2016

Can you cite specifically what is done for free?

Because I can’t think of much.

What I can think of is that Walmart has a policy it takes very seriously for everyone and that is that you are PROHIBITED from working off the clock or for free.

Truck cleanliness is again simply policy, not to mention courtesy.

I have never slip seated 4 times a week.

During extensions my first few months here in 2016 I did three times in one week. Once. Most of the time I get a truck for my entire week. In the event I do Hop trucks during the week, I NEVER spend hours waiting on a truck assignment.

So I’m really wondering what else we’re supoosed to get paid for??

Ten cents for every crank of the landing gear? 15 cents for throwing a padlock on a trailer?

I’m not sure I can ask ANY Walmart driver because I think they’d all be genuinely confused by such a statement.

Coover and 06driver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.