Back-up Cameras?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Six9GS, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I thought Marshalltown was just for boxing up pigs....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I have seen an owner op with a backup cam. I haven't seen any fleet trucks, or their drivers, using one.

Trailers are mostly aluminum, not steel.

The downside to the cam is they are a blackhole for attention. Users will look at nothing but the screen.

Most drivers would throw their children in a woodchipper before they dreamed of backing a trailer. The problem is the low quality of drivers not learning and never using the most important skill for their job. It costs nothing to practice backing. Practice.

Sho Nuff, Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I worked for La Caeyse Trucking down on 420th and Hwy 146, loaded out of Marshalltown lots, The CAT Scale near the packing house was responsible for the only overweight ticket I have received but CAT paid it.

6. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    For AC I've only pulled them from Goodmans in Houston, TX. Weird how this industry works out. You'd expect Beef and pork from Texas and Kansas, but not for me.

7. good old GF down by grinnell?
    that was been way back in the day with Ampride with the cat scale now it's a yes truck stop.. still not too bad if get stuck there.
    used to hang out there at the Ampride all the time when Lennox loads weren't ready it's a good place to be back around the late 90s into the early 2000s..
    at least they took care of the ticket that's the good thing about CAT scale weigh what we say or we pay

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    That is so #### funny.

Never had someone lay down behind my vehicle, but long ago I had a young woman waiting for me to come out of the store, and when i got to my pickup she was calling me over to look at her car. She claimed that when i pulled in i hit her car and dented the hood in on her Toyota Echo. My bumper wouldn't have lined up with the dent anyway, but the damage was so old it was rusting in the area. She told me that for $200 cash she would forgive me. I said no, got out my cell phone and called the cops to come look at the scam she was running. She got in her car and took off. I wonder how many suckers fell for her scam over the years.
    She saw I drove a fairly tall pickup, pulled in and parked in front of my truck, then waited for me to extort money out of me. No #### way am I that gullible.

9. yeah we do the Goodman Daikin down there at Waller Texas that's a nice place where they really are friendly there and treat the driver well..lot better than the original homebase dumpy Factory that's it's over in Fayetteville Tennessee jeez what a crap hole..
    now you got to remember a long long time ago although bought out through the years by Mom's for Tyson JBS
    IBP STOOD FOR IOWA BEEF PROCESSORS
    at one time the United States biggest beef processor and the second biggest pork processor..
    that was 1970 when they change their name..
    when they began in 1961 they were known as Iowa beef Packers..
    later on they would just simply change their name for years to simply ibp..

10. had one guy do that out on the 57 freeway in la la land do Diamond bar Walnut area..
    traffic stack to the max out there about 1994 should there in stop-and-go traffic on one of the grades going down..
    now here's the funny part Guy starts flashing his lights at me furiously had an old beat-up crappy LTD..runs up like hey man
    hey man you just hit my car.
    now mind you this was long before even the creation of the cell phone..but I looked at him and I said okay we'll have to get the cops out here someone's going to have to call them will find a gas station and I have to take some pictures with my accident kit..
    he's like what do you mean just give me a hundred bucks and we'll call it even I said no if I hit you I'm going to do it the right way and I will admit fault..
    I said the first thing I want to know is how can a manual 9 Speed transmission on a down slope roll back into you??
    so as I started to walk back towards the truck to climb up in the old cabover and get out the accident kit next thing said accuser is whipping by me on the shoulder like it's his own lane getting away from me realizing he just got caught... this is another time when a backup camera can save you if you have it activated in stop-and-go traffic all the time like a dash camera and it's recording you could see if somebody hits you or is tailgating you or whatever...

Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I hadn't thought about that use for a back-up camera.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.