Back when I was adorable.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LtlAnonymous, Oct 20, 2022.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    As a young man with three years' mega carrier experience, I got hired by Yellow Freight. Ohhh boy was I excited, guys. I'd found the job I was gonna retire from at 27 years old!

I'll even admit to maybe wearing my Yellow ID lanyard in a few situations because I was "on-call," when in reality I was just a little proud of my new job.

It was a great opportunity for a mega carrier driver, but I just want to paint a picture of an ADORABLE young driver with blinking, innocent eyelashes...I'm selling this too hard. I was young and dumb. Lol

So on my VERY first trip for Yellow, I got called in at 2100 for 2300, headed to Appleton, WI. Oh boy, was I excited.

At Schneider, I was on an account where I could control my hours pretty well, so I worked from 1000-0000 every day. I don't like to be up too early, so that worked for me.

So...11 at night...it was a challenge, but...that's what you had to do in the big leagues, right??? (Adorable!)

Even so, I got to Appleton in the early morning hours, and gosh darn golly gee was I tired! I thought it would be a good idea to tell the dispatcher that I PREFERRED daytime driving, and if I could just sleep at the hotel a few extra hours and work in the morning, that'd be super swell by me!

The dispatcher studied my face to make sure I wasn't ####ing with him, and started laughing. "Yeah, I'll see what I can do."

Clearly, I was a young man who understood the freight business. Lol

Mike2633, surf_avenue, ducnut and 35 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    That's hilarious, the line of what ya told the dispatcher about sleepin in an working days. Willing to bet that didn't work out to well on that extra board. Adorable, ha ha an a big lol!!

4. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    51Yc2gu5pQL._AC_SY580_.jpg Looks like something Bob Ross (RIP) would write , great job.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    So when do we get the Paul Harvey version with "The Rest of the Story"???? LOL

6. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Y’all should listen to the Mike Rowe podcast about bob ross
    Rowe did a 150 or so pods that were “for the curious mind with a short attention span “
    So they were perfect for me .

7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Oh, I got used to nights. Lol I never even made it off the extra board at Yellow OR ABF, so...I had 12 years across three companies to adjust. Lol

ducnut, NightWind, beastr123 and 8 others Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    One of my two childhood heroes, Fred Rogers being the other. Great role models.

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Lol the rest of the story is that I learned to work nights, got laid off, went to ABF, rage quit, and wound up at my forever job. Lol

Now I work afternoons until a bit after midnight, and everything is beautiful. Set schedules are great. Lol

ducnut, NightWind, beastr123 and 7 others Thank this.
  10. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Yeah I also have a pretty short attention SQUIRREL!

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I was “adorable” once too, but after witnessing years of favoritism and stupidity I’m not very “adorable” anymore.

This job brings out the worst in people.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.