Backing help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RayBlaszak, Nov 8, 2018.

1. AUfan78

AUfan78 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mobile, Alabama
    I recently made a move driving lowboy for a local municipality to pulling containers for a "local" company. Doing drop and hook at the mill I haul from, I have backed a trailer more in a month than I did at the city in a year. What gets me, I can hit everything perfect and not even have to pull up and the next trip I might have to pull up 3 or 4 times.

88228822 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I'm a rookie been driving OTR 7 months its all about reps. In the beginning all you can really do is stay calm and get out and look as much as necessary.

I was at the bottom of my CDL class and my company training with respect to backing even though I was one of the best on all the other stuff. I still kind of stink but I'm way better than I was. Sometimes it takes me forever to hit the dock even though I can usually get it in the hole on the first try now.

I don't let it bother me in the moment because its all about getting the job done.

Figuring out how your brain works helps. For me, I cannot visualize and I have trouble with what I'm seeing in the mirrors when reversing. People who visualize easily probably have an advantage I would think.

It also gets easier with experience because eventually you know exactly how much space your tractor takes up and where it is and if you will clear whatever is in the way of the tractor as you are swinging around to get under the trailer. If someone could just tell you how to do it and you could do it first time everytime, you would either be a genius or it wouldn't be a skill.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    WTH I'll join in just in case a newbie is looking for advice.

The best thing I was ever told that made everything make since is. TURN IT TO YOUR TROUBLE! If the trailer is going right and you dont want it going right, then turn to the right.

After 19 years I haven't backed into anything I didn't want to. I can bind side back better than I can drivers side back. I do drive day cab though. I look at the obstacles first, and can visualize them in my head while backing as to where they are in relation to my trailer. That not to say I nail it on the first try every time. I get in some really tight places that require 2-3 pull ups.

When I worked warehouses I'd get a driver every once in awhile that could do the same as me. Stop and take a mental note of everything and bind side sleepers in with little effort. Then there are those that can't back a bobtail in without 2-3 pull ups. SMH!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.