Backing Up!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ajb1972, May 18, 2007.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    also, from my experience, ive noted that if the tandem rear axles are forward, you can wait a little longer before "breaking" the trailer.
    If the tandems are all the way to the rear, you better steer or correct quickly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sounds like your oversteering Bud.. The less you steer the the straighter it goes. When you pull up.. You only need enough to make sure the trailer is straight before you attempt again. Intructors like to see people get out and look also

4. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    Just started straight line backing today.Not as easy as anticipated.Did not hit any cones or barrels just seemed to have a little difficulty keeping the trailer straight.Any tips that will make this a little more easier tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Small movements on the steering wheel. Stick to slow adjustments of no more than a 1/4 turn. Too much activity with the steering can make the trailer move more.

6. tazzman691

tazzman691 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2007
    Batesville, AR
    Where u going to school?

7. RNGTransport

RNGTransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Allendale, MI
    Keep it at idle dont add any gas as this will make the trailer's movements that much harder to see in time to control with slight movements. Also watch and see how the trailer is pushing it might not be aligned right and push wierd so that might be making it harder than it needs to be as well.

8. Thomas0810

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    Going to C1 in Fort Worth Texas.Did notice on my second attempt at it that the smaller movements seemed to work better.Thanks for the tips.

9. munrkr

munrkr Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    If you can pick a target a good distance behind, and down one side (or both) of your trailer. concentrate on it as part of the "big picture", rather than sea-sawing back and forth. I learned this trick steering boats. Instead of fighting the compass which swung to and fro, just pick a landmark a long ways off and relate it to part of what ever you're steering then, "keep her so". That said, just don't forget the trailor goes opposite of wheel direction. If you forget and steer the wrong way, stop imediately and clear your head before proceeding. After a few dozen times, it'll come natural. Have Fun!

10. radiorambo

radiorambo Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Rochester,Mn
    The hardest thing I remember and had to train myself not to do is oversteer. It takes a while. Go to a dock someday you have time to kill and practice.

11. Thomas0810

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    Yeah my instructor told me is what i was doing overseering

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.