Bad governor or air drier?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Doealex, May 24, 2019.

1. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    2015 Volvo VNL 780 with 420K is releasing air every 15 seconds. I think it was even worse before I changed the filter on top of air drier (but I could be wrong since I didn’t time it then). Air pressure is Okay (around 120 psi). It sounds like the valve is stuck open on the compressor and it keeps pumping air all the time. Does anyone know where that valve is?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    How fast truck loosing air pressure?

Doealex Thanks this.
  4. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Not loosing much. There is a tiny leak that I have to fix. Didn’t think that it was a problem causing governor release.

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Doesn't take much of an air leak. My fan hub went bad and started pissing air right after I had a new dryer put on. I thought for sure it was the new dryer that was bad until I heard the air coming out of the fan hub.

Oxbow, PE_T and Doealex Thank this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It could be the braided steel signal line from the air governor to the air dryer, inside the steel braid is a plastic air line that gets brittle with age.

Just moving it a few inches can crack the line inside causing a big air leak.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Doealex Thanks this.
  7. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Sounds to me like your air leak is between you air dryer, Governor, and compressor. Depending on where your Governor is mounted (on trucks today, this is usually on the air drier) either way there is a 1/4” line that runs from the air drier to the compressor unloader valve. If it leaks your air system will act like the way you describe.

Doealex and Goodysnap Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The unloader on the air compressor. There was a good thread on this problem about a month ago.

flood Thanks this.
  9. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    i had same annoying problem on my peterbilt with ad9. Changed unloader and didnt fix it. i decided to put new governor on. cheap 20 part and easy to install. That fixed the problem and now doesnt sneeze for like 5 or more minutes

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Freddy2times

Freddy2times Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2019
    Sounds like youve got a decent leak in your air system. Acceptable air system leaks are generally 2 psi over 2 mins. Your gouvernor is usually set to cut out the compressor at 135psi. In order fir the compressor to kick back in, air pressure needs to drop below 115 psi. Therefore if your gouvernor cuts out at its cutout pressure its not your gouvernor. If you can build up system pressure, its not your compressor.
    Bad gouvernor= system will build up safety release valve pressure. Sounds like a machine gun firing.
    Bad compressor= not able to build up air pressure.

System test. Build up system pressure and turn off the vehicle.watch your gauge for around 2 mins. If it falls more than 2 psi the air leak you mentioned or another is causing your problem.
    Im generalizing the specs just to say.

Thats my guess.

11. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Mine was popping off every 25 sec. Was leaking at the purge valve on the air dryer, replaced the whole unit all was good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.