Bad load day

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Gumper, May 22, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I knew the day would come, but I didn’t expect so soon. I agreed to a load of sheetrock from a broker working for a company we will call LS... first when he called he said the load needed 6’ tarps which I told him that I only had 4’ tarps, so I couldn’t do the load. He says give him a minute to check to see if 4 footers were ok. He calls back 5 minutes later, and says they were fine. Told him I would have to deadhead 3 hours the wrong direction to get the load that next morning which he was ok with. We haggle on the price a bit, and it’s all set. I get to thinking later, and e-mail to tell him my tarps have canvas sides. They aren’t totally waterproof, and he replies that it’s OK because the sheetrock is wrapped in plastic. Asked him if it needed corner protectors because I didn’t have any with me which he also says no. Sounds like a simple load. Get there at noon, load up, set out on the 722 mile trip, and deliver the next morning whenever.

I was so wrong.

I haul ### to get to the pickup a little earlier. Get there and my appointment they made me isn’t until 13:00. I was a bit peeved, but I guess I’ll take a nap while waiting since I can easily get 2 hours sleeper time. That way I can get 8 later in order to use the cool split thing. Get in, get loaded, and immediately I know there’s problems. Sheetrock is 6’ off the deck, and no plastic wrap. I go talk to the shipper, and tell him the broker told me 4’ tarps would work. He stares at me blankly then informs me that I need 6’ tarps. I look at him and tell him to take it off the deck then because it’s not going to work. He panics a bit because that load is a week late getting to it’s destination, and says he’ll give me plastic shrink wrap to go around the bottom where the tarps won’t cover. Didn’t care for the idea, but decided to give it a shot since I aim to please (which I have since retracted as a trait). Then I mention the corner protectors that I don’t have which the broker told me I didn’t need. Surprise, surprise I do need them. I have carpet squares in the truck, so I guess that’ll work. I’ve called and talked to the broker 3 times by now informing him how bad he ####ed up, but he didn’t seem bothered by it. I get to work wrapping, strapping, tarping, and wrapping some more. Actually came out pretty good, but I’m still pissed off bad because it took 3 hours from loading to driving off. After I inform the broker I was on the road I call the receiver to schedule an appointment. Now this where I get really angry. They only unload between 4:15-5:15 AM. There’s no possible way I can drive 722 miles in 11 hours after already being on duty for 8 hours at that point even with the 8/2 split. Started making phone calls to the broker AGAIN, and no answer. Send emails, and finally I get a call from a different broker about the issue. Apparently it was a double brokered load, and there was some huge communication disconnects. This broker is mad I’m not going to make the early-AM delivery time, so I told him to find another truck to put the load on if he wants it that bad. That won’t work for him, so he says he’ll just have to try to get it rescheduled for the next morning. Now I’m stopped for the night in southern Idaho concerned about what my next move is. I should have left the load at the shipper. I should have never even agreed to the #### load. I have all the email correspondence, so I think my ### is covered if something comes back on me. I know it’s my fault for accepting the load. But why the hell are some people so stupid, or maybe they’re just shady? I’m putting these two brokerages on my bad list for future knowledge.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    Thanks for sharing your story. I learned to trust my nope feeling, when I feel a nope coming along I let it out. Most of the time it works out in my favor tho.

4. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I had the nope feeling all day yesterday and lost a lot of sleep over it. Like you it usually works out, so I decided to be positive this morning until #### hit the fan.

5. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    LOL positivity can possibly positively bite you in the butt...

NavigatorWife, Tug Toy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When the "Noes" start coming out of the wood work, I don't want that load.

What a mess.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    1790C3D6-0AA1-4EF4-9F90-E914460B99FC.jpeg Here’s the load as it sits now. Used 3/4 of a roll of plastic wrap. What a huge pain in the ### it was to walk around the trailer about 20 times. I’m still concerned about the load getting damp if it rains due to my canvas tarp drops. Once again something I e-mailed the broker about, and he said it was fine. I also made the shipper look at the load before I left to get his approval.

8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    After reading all these crazy stories Im sure glad Im contracted onto a place that has dedicated customers. I could never deal with brokers.

NavigatorWife, Paddlewagon and Gumper Thank this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Nice looking wrap.
    When the shipper said you need 6' tarp. That's when i would have been gone.
    First, I don't haul sheetrock. I don't haul anything that requires "keep dry."

Second. Unless you have the proper documentation. On your rate confirmation. That is the contract. Broker could say that was part of the negotiation??

Also, when you accept the load. You are responsible for delivering it undamaged.

I have tarped "no tarp" loads in transit to keep them dry. Not happy doing it. But I could see the crap storm if I didn't.
    Hope it doesn't rain for your trip.
    Good luck.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Why did you not first wrap the load and then tarp it?

oriden953 and kylefitzy Thank this.
  11. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    I hate to say this but what kind of a flatbedder booking loads thru brokers that doesnt have corner protectors and only carries two 4 foot drop tarps.
    Maybe you have a dedicated head haul but if you wanna work the spot market you better be well equipped to deal with almost any situation possible.
    I heard from a lot of shippers complaining about drivers showing up with no straps no bungees etc etc.
    In your defense,thru the years,i dealt with a lot of open deck brokers who dont know what they doing as well so i have to ask a lot of questions to determine if im going to take the load.

mitmaks, NavigatorWife and ibcalm19 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.