bad mpg what to do?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nunofreddy, Jun 3, 2014.

1. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    DRIVER, listen up. Your truck could be experiencing a number of different problems. If the DPF is plugged up, you will get a check engine light. The motors don't just blow up or die, there is a pressure sensor that measures back flow. It knows when its time to be serviced.

Yes, these DPF Series 60's are quite sluggish to say the least. GO to the shop, DISABLE progressive shifting and turn it up to 515 HP.
    Some times you can get an EGR valve go bad, get horrid mileage and it can take a while to set a code. There are so many sensors that can get dirty and give a false reading. There is something going wrong with your engine, i hope you can find it. 4.25 is not normal.

I don't know what that is, where you rev up to down shift and there is a delayed response like the engine is starved for fuel. It has something to do with the ECM tuning. On the ISX I drive now, when I'm going 65+ for example and I try to down shift into 9th, it revs up SUUUUUUPER slow. What the heck? Do 60 MPH and you can rev up to 2,200 RPM in just a second or two.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
    nunofreddy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightlinerman

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    PS, stay away from these big Freightliner dealers. You will go in and come out with a $5,000.00 bill after they start throwing parts and looking for what's wrong.

bbigcnote and nunofreddy Thank this.
  4. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    Listen to freightlinerman.
    Go find a Detroit dealer.

nunofreddy and baha Thank this.
  5. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Do you even run one of these motors? If you did, then you would know that pushing the button when the light is not illuminated, is as effective in initiating a regen, as holding the door handle. It will do nothing.
    It's a S60 motor for gawds sake. It isn't brain surgery for any half competent Detroit shop, and certainly a LOT easier to work on, with more repair facilities, than any Volvo engine.
    Now it has codes, get them read. I bought my own code reader, for all systems on any semi truck, motorhome, etc. Worth it's weight in gold for the folks who's rigs I have used it on:biggrin_25525:
    Used it on my own stuff 3 times I think, over the past few years. Cost is less than 2 dealer visits, so well recommended.
    Checking and clearing all old codes is a good idea, then you know what is active.

Martin
    Martin

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    No I don't. Never had the pleasure of running a S60 + dpf motor. When I had my miserable cat sdp engine it would put the check engine light on - NOT the dpf light, it would allow me to force a parked regen and the light would go off. If I just kept driving it would eventually put the dpf light on. Keep driving and it would flash the dpf light. Figured it might be somewhat alike in that regard.

7. nunofreddy

nunofreddy Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2014

Thank you i will get that check so u recommend just to go to my regular mechanic instead to freightliner cause thats where I was planning to go.turning it up to 515 wont damage a injector or give me worst mpg?

8. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Take it to Interstate Detroit in Altoona,Ia. grab the evening shift (4pm onwards), and look forward to a great running truck.

Martin

Battle Born Thanks this.
  9. freightlinerman

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Google diesel doctor in Effingham, IL. They can change the factory settings, its not tuning or modifying! There are so many different settings in the ECM, they are not modifying any emissions related. Shops are going to give you the run around. I had another driver with a DPF S60 and they helped him quite a bit. They can probably tell you what is causing the problems you're experiencing. IT WONT DAMAGE ANYTHING to turn the HP to 515, these are factory options in that ECM! At 455 these are gutless and can't climb an ant hill with out down shifting. Get rid of that progressive shifting, it is an option that can be turned off.

This is the same thing a Detroit dealer can do, but Diesel Doctor does it for less AND has your BEST interest in mind! Plus you can go back for help diagnosing in the future for free, I think....you need to talk to him and ask, but I'm trying to give you good advice to get your truck running and my post got censored because they think I'm trying to talk about ECM modification. They should be able to diagnose and resolve what ever problems your having.

You will go broke veeeery fast going to the dealer and still not come out ahead. These service managers just start reading stuff of, they know nothing but how to pad the bill and make it sound like your truck is dying with out help.

10. nunofreddy

nunofreddy Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Ok thank you ive been screen shooting all your advice. Do you know if theres any good shop closer to Chicago?

11. Battle Born

Battle Born Heavy Load Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Scandia, Mn
    This is an awesome thread. May I ask what is bad about progressive shifting? I drive for Tmc and they preach it with their ACERTS. And also is 2010 and newer alright for dpf? I'm battling between 2010 and newer or 2004 or older without the egr BS. I knew the mid 2000's sucked but yeah.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.