Bad time to get in

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jan 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    From my account he said that I need to spend some money and that was one of his ideas told me to buy a 100.000 dollar F250 and I would get a 80,000 dollar deduction the first year. Told him no way in hell ..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Business is funny. Sometimes starting in good times ends up being a curse. Sometimes starting in bad times shapes your businesses future for success. Either way, be as prepared as you can be but waiting around never did much good for anyone.

TallJoe, jason6541, Evil_E and 3 others Thank this.
  4. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Hard to tell in these threads. I sell a ton of lumber through one side of my business and it's the most unpredictable part of my business.

On our trucking side of things our primary money maker is a dedicated contract to move beer from our local brewery to the distributor. We started that in the Obama years and did well, we did even better in the Trump years, I doubt much will change in the Biden/Harris run. Having a floating fuel surcharge % built into the contract sure takes fuel prices out of the picture.

TexasKGB, Vampire and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    things finally coming together and getting easy is a death knell, if you let the pressure release from having gotten out from under conscription seat itself as any kind of new comfortable baseline, you can/will find out what it means when it says 'poverty comes like a thief in the night'. it only takes a few days/weeks to completely obliterate months/years of momentum...motivationally, financially, personally.

you.have.to.keep.the.grind.going, and only feed on the crumbs of sustenance. it takes less energy to maintain stable momentum of growth than to it does to continually start over from ground zero. failure is inefficient application of effort. if it's too hard you're doing it wrong.

6. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I started at the end of February last year with nothing. I survived somehow. If you are right, then I should be rolling following 2020. :) Though to stay so positive isn't easy. I still have loans to pay off first. I need new tires., then IRP renewal is coming soon. The beginning of the year isn't going to be easy. I am still afloat. I'm happy with just that. Three weeks after I got a truck and a trailer, everything crashed.

Rideandrepair and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Not being political but with the recent events that have happened we are in for a change.

How that change will affect Trucking is unknown, but for sure there will be change in the country and if the country has a lot of changes it's hard to imagine that would not affect Trucking. I myself do not see any of that as positive. There are many many reasons for this but again not being political I will stop here. If you know anything about the topic you understand the things I'm speaking of.

This was the whole point of this post. With this much of a change especially with the indicators pointing in a particular direction, the unknown is all that is known.

Definitely not a good time to get in.

JonJon78 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    those few idiots aren't going to stop the economy lol.

86scotty, danny23tx and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    rome didn't burn to the ground, there was just a game of musical chairs with who gets to be king of the hill and a redrawing of borders, in the interim normal people keep buying and selling and building and running for cover. those in authority do what they are good for, they've been placed by the Owner to do His bidding, in the interim people are born and people die and normal people find a way to hopscotch through each their own trials in each their own timing. ain't dead yet, there's stuff to do yet

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    People will continue with life. Demand for basic goods will grow this year. Large businesses with stocks will continue to press for profits.
    Life will go on same as the great recession.
    Good luck to us all.

11. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Realtors say 20 was a good year for them. Automotive dealers echo that. Home "purchases" and new car
    "sales" are not actually being based on "ownership". A home purchase with $10,000 city grant as down payment and 30 years is not ownership. It is payday to payday for husband AND wife. A car dealer with a
    "good" finance man shows the junker trade in at 2 to 5 K up, gets it off to the finance and has made a sale. So COVID comes along..... He and she are laid off. Unemployment kicks in; boosted by "aid" and now due
    to the COVID, house payments and car payments are relaxed/extended/not foreclosed/no repo/no eviction.
    Available funds are spent on food and at home entertainment, which takes the available money.
    Time passes... Select a time lapse.... Virus gone, jobs come back. Who/what is going to cover the gap?
    It is going to be frugal future for us older folks who saved/planned, and invested.
    It is going to be a learning experience for this current generation, as our government finally tells them we
    are no longer able to provide what you have come to expect. My opinion only yours may vary.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.