Bad wheel seal?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Nov 20, 2020.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yesterday doing my pre trip I noticed a big puddle of oil inside my right rear outer tire on my tractor. I go the a good year about 90 miles away they say that two screws were loose. So they end up doing what they do and clean everything up. $115 later I was heading back down the road.

Throughout the remainder of my trip which was another 300 miles I'm checking the tire and see no oil leaking.

But this morning when I wake up I see another puddle in the same spot inside the tire except this one is way smaller almost to the point of being miniscule.

What could be going on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If you can see oil sitting in the outside of the rim, the axle flange gasket is the likely culprit.

Dino soar, MACK E-6, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    They either did a poor job of cleaning up or the new seal didn’t take/was put in wrong

5. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    This ^
    Tightening up the outer hub bolts won't fix the bad seal.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Seals usually go out because of oil contamination, mostly metal. I'd check the bearings.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If its on the outside of the wheel, its not a wheel seal. OP said its on the inside of the OUTER rim. I interpert that to be the axle flange gasket.

Dino soar, Dockbumper and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    That is exactly right. Main cause of this failure? The axles are pulled on these trucks during piggyback transport. Square pieces of plywood are put on the hub to keep the oil in. When the tractor reaches its final destination, the axles are re installed, lots of times with a damaged/missing gasket, and I would assume without a torque wrench. There are lots of "wrench holders" in this industry too!o_O

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I'm not sure how they get away with doing this as the axles are designed to carry the "oil" from the diff housing to the axle/hub bearings and therefore lube the seals, and then the oil would flow back to the diff through the axle tubes.

It may be ok for a while, but alot of trucks are getting pulled out of mexico...

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    They tightened the bolts but didn’t replace the gasket.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  11. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Had a few trucks where I worked that needed to be drilled out and helicoils put in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.