Baltimore oversize route……

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by nikmirbre, Feb 3, 2023.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    They do but, Ill talk to the state come monday...... so I can go on 695. This system here is the state self issued system. There is a way to change the routing in the beginning, middle, or the end, and I cant figure out how to do it...

CAXPT and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    There's a way to change to the routing, I just cant figure it out.

4. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    I have done many oversize loads.

Never has my permit taken me on a route through downtown of a big city.
    (How can that even be the safest option?)

Most all the time it adds more miles to take me even further away around the city.

5. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    This isn't the 1st time Maryland has attempted to give me this route....... Idk why

6. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    It's nuts to send an OD load through downtown on little roads and tight turns especially when interstates are right there.

Then again It's the Northeast. They just like to mess with drivers. Still makes no sense

CAXPT, cke and nikmirbre Thank this.
  7. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here's one I ran not long ago through Chicago at 12'W and we've run multiple loads this way at 14'W. This place is an old machine shop in a residential neighborhood. The streets are all one way into it with cars parked on both sides at 11' H tree limbs. There is no other way to access it. Due to construction on I-294 there is no alternate route around Chicago.

The section of the route that runs through downtown is maybe 5-10 miles but takes over 45 mins because dodging traffic and taking 2 lanes you can't accelerate fast enough between the lights to ever get more that 1 green at a time.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 210336.png

CAXPT, cke, nikmirbre and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Another one through the middle of a lot of cities at 120' Long from 2017. Thank god we got the permit late in the day and California let me run at night. Would've been a nightmare during the day. A couple of the turns involved turning into oncoming lanes and then jumping the median with the tractor and jeep to get back into my lanes after the trailer cleared the corner.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 211558.png

The state Self Issue systems will absolutely run you through the middle of a city if it thinks you can clear the route and it's the shortest option. I've spent many hours on the phone with my permit services and state permit offices finding better routes than whatever their software spits out.

CAXPT, cke, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    If you're picking up or delivering by downtown it's a different story and have less options.

Baltimore one looks like he's just going through.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t do it if you can help it. There’s a better way of going through town than that. Besides, there’s “no trucks” signs all over the place.

The Beltway is obviously a better way, but if you have to go through town try this. Get off 95 at exit 50. Caton Ave north, Wilkens Ave east, Fulton Ave north, North Ave east, Bel Air Rd north, Sinclair La east, Erdman Ave south, Pulaski Hwy east, Moravia Rd west, 895 north.

Otr Traveler, CAXPT, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    Anything wrong with taking 695 the long ways westbound all the way around back to 95?

Extra 12 miles or something like that but a lot less risk and stress than a bunch of roads and turns in downtown Baltimore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.