Bare minimum miles?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gumper, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    So I plan to stay with my current steady job while starting an O/O business. I’d like to haul a few loads a month and use vacation time to cover my days off work. Doing it this way I can be established as an operator for a year before trucking on my own full time. My question is what would be the minimum number of miles you could run, and still cover all the set monthly bills such as insurance? 1000 miles? 1500? 1974??

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You need to run your own numbers to answer that. Some people have been parked for the last month and are doing fine. Some people lose everything running 4,000 miles a week.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HAHAHAHAHAHA....

Something will happen, you will wait some time then find that you are going to miss a few days work getting back...

That's one problem...

Trucking is all or nothing. There is no bare minimum unless it's zero if you wait long enough.

Lepton1 and Pieter78 Thank this.
  5. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Alright well I figured 1000 miles not paying myself would cover the monthly fixed expenses. Is that realistic?

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I use 8,500 miles a month for an annual average for everything to work it okay. Under that I have to really tighten the budget. Over that is all gravy.

7. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I was considering doing this as well; however, the insurance for a new authority is pretty expensive and would cut severely into the revenues you would generate. You may be able to break even depending how much time you are able to take off though. My fear also was that a lot of shippers are closed on the weekends so pickup would have to be a Friday and delivery would need to most likely be a Monday, then you would have to deadhead back to make it to work on Tuesday.

The route I am going is to activate my authority ~2-3 months before I plan on "hitting the road", to have my authority active for 90 days, so I don't look like a completely new operation. My thought is to have insurance minimums ($750K) for this period and up the coverage to what I am comfortable with as I am transitioning to this new venture.

Pieter78 Thanks this.
  8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That’s about where I’m at. Get my authority established, and try to make enough to cover the additional expenses of having the truck. I’d still be paid my normal salary since it’s paid vacation time, the the trucking part wouldn’t be paying out a salary to me. It’d all be to make the business break even for a few months or so.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    There is no answer to your question. You need a set amount of revenue per day/month/year to cover your expenses. How many miles this takes is anyone's guess. One person may cover their monthly expenses in a 500 mile run. Another may need 5,000 miles to cover their monthly expenses. This is like rates, no two are alike and everyone is all over the place.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are kidding, right?

This isn't part time work. This is a business that needs to be attended to in order for you to be anything close to successful.

Don't take this personal but we have enough crap owners with crap trucks running around on shoe string budgets and it is why we need to eliminate a lot of these crap authorities with means testing.

Justrucking2, uncleal13 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I don’t plan on it to be part time work. I don’t see a brand new authority getting many loads, so getting that and letting time go by is what I see is a good idea. But I’d also like the truck to make some money. Hell, maybe I’d get flooded with work right out of the gate, but I doubt it. I’ve never had a part time job nor have I been unemployed since I was 15.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.