Bare minimum miles?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gumper, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I was figuring 1200-1400

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    There must be skeletons in your closet...

Derailed Thanks this.
  4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It's not about miles. It's about money.

Get out of the miles = money mindset.

Miles don't matter.

5. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Just getting raped by living in the mid Atlantic region.

6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    You'll be better off in the long run jumping in and committing yourself 100 percent. It can be pretty intimidating and down right discouraging starting off in your first year sometimes. If you ride that part out things tend to fall together over time if you learn from your mistakes. You most likely won't make it to this point with your full time regular job still in the picture

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  7. White Line Fever

White Line Fever Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2015
    I have done this very same thing with the exception of leaving my regular job. It started 3 years ago when the oil patch slowed down...the company I work for said it’d be slow. I thought to myself, since I’ve always had a love for trucking and am not one to sit around I’d buy a truck. I bought a truck and a trailer. Worked it a bit here and there...didn’t make a whole lot of money. I then bought some different trailers to expand my capabilities (super B clam dumps, scissorneck loboy, super b flats).

Work picked up a bit with the truck but was also still fairly active with my other job. I felt if my regular job could cover the cost of buying the equipment, I could use the income from the truck to cover maintenance, fuel, insurance, plates etc. and be pretty well set up for when activity levels pick up.

I then found a good deal on a winch truck. Since winch trucks were what I was born and raised in and was my “forte’” I bought it. Spent just under 10 K to get it where I wanted it to be (in tip top shape).

Now the phone is starting to ring for the trucks but my regular job hasn’t really slowed down yet either...may have even picked up a bit. So, do the obvious...hire a driver right? Well, easier said than done because a guy needs a versatile driver...one that can winch, haul a dozer, or a Super B loaded with matting. Not everyone can do all of that. I didn’t have enough work to hire a guy and make a decent living. I’m not the type to lie to a guy and say he’ll make huge money if it isn’t there. They’ll only leave shortly after anyways.

Well, along came a Ritchie Bros sale and in the sale happened to be a fairly new tri drive winch tractor, big bunk, big HP and in good shape. Like a dummy I bought it...it was gonna be “my truck”. I found a decent “part timer” to fill in on the first two trucks to pick up the slack if I wasn’t available.

Long story short, 3 trucks, 16 different trailers and still not trucking full time. Why? Cold feet...lol

I actually agree with the ones that have stated to jump in and get after it. Myself, I’m getting closer to the end of the diving board....my toes are almost over the edge ...LOL

Go with your gut, leave your regular job on good terms if you leave and they’ll probably take u back.

Be sure to say no to cheap freight / rates. It hurts to see equipment parked but don’t let it go to work for cash flow only. That’s what the white Volvo’s are for. As others mentioned, it’s not the miles that count, it’s what’s in your wallet when u turn the key off at night.

Pieter78 Thanks this.
  8. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Personally if I had a regular job that could pay for all of that I'd find a different hobby other than trucking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.