Batteries weak or alternator issue?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Sassie Cassie Trucker, May 14, 2019.

1. Sassie Cassie Trucker

Sassie Cassie Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    I drive a 2018 cascadia. I just had the starter replaced 3 weeks ago. The starter was going bad since November but did not get addressed until it quit period. Now it's got a slow crank every time I start it and the battery gauge on the dash when I've been watching it doesn't get above 14.0 After I shut down it goes from 13.5 at shut off down to 12.9 in 4 minutes and stabilized for about ten minutes then starts dropping again. Does this sound like the batteries are weak or the alternator may need changed out? I have to be extremely specific with the people at my shop because umm, ya, they need it or I'll just get stranded somewhere else waiting for a mechanic to show up because they "couldn't " find anything wrong

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Easy to check your alternator.
    Start the truck and Disconnect the negative on your batteries. If your truck dies the alternator isn't working.

The description you give seems the batteries are losing their charge. Disconnect the batteries from each other and test each one.

Clean all the connections.
    You could have a circuit shorting out also.
    Good luck

Sal001 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Alternator and batteries have a relationship. If one or both goes bad then you are stranded.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Id say you have a battery issue... 14 volts while running is normal alternator output.

But the discharge rate you describe when truck is turned off seems abnormally fast.

Do you have an inverter or other electronics running that could be putting that heavy of a drain on the batteries??

My gut says bad batteries... But if you dont replace bad batteries it can also kill your alternator over time, as it puts a very heavy strain on the alternator to constantly have to recharge the batteries from a low charge state.

Next time you shut down get out and feel each battery with your hand. Do this as soon as you shut the truck down... If one or more are abnormally warm, even hot, it is a sign that the batteries are going kaput.

Do you smell any sulfur smell? Like rotten eggs. This is a dead give away of a bad battery... They can even explode when they get to this point, and are almost always hot to the touch.

BUMBACLADWAR and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    This is back yard mechanic tips, disconnecting battery to check alternator is a BIG NO-NO. The charging system and batteries can be checked quickly and accurately with a simple volt meter.

frito bandito, Omega1, KB3MMX and 3 others Thank this.
  7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    How old are your batteries?

It could be weak batteries or it could be a defective starter solenoid.

The slow cranking symptom can point to both of those issues.

8. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    If you disconnect the alternator with the truck running you will definately need an alternator. If your gauge is reading 14v when running, your alternator is fine, the batteries should be charged one at a time and then load tested to see if they are bad. If one is bad it will effect the whole group, kinda like apples.

xsetra and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yes I am a back yard mechanic. Thanks for the information. I learned today.

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Just because the alt is putting out 14 volts does not mean t is good, probably is, but it may not be putting out enough amps.
    The battery cables are often the cause of the problem too, low voltage probably killed your last starter and it sounds as if it is working on the new one.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    This is what I learned.
    I have pulled the positive battery connection to confirm alternator has failed. Usually after voltmeter showed low volts.
    This article explains what happens in newer vehicles if you use my tree shade method. As others have said.
    DON'T remove battery cable to test alternator.

If it's in the range, it's good. Connect the meter leads to the battery terminals and look for 13.8 to 15.3 volts (engine running, lights and accessories off). That means the alternator is pumping out the juice.

100 Super-Simple Car Repairs You Don’t Need to Go to the Shop For

Step 2
    [​IMG]BACHTUB DMITRII/shutterstock

If you're tempted to test an alternator by disconnecting the negative battery cable, don't do it. A good alternator may indeed keep the engine running, but it was never a good test. In the pre-computer days, you could pull it off without damaging anything. Today, you risk frying every electrical device in your vehicle. The second you disconnect the battery, the voltage regulator pegs the alternator to put out maximum power. With no battery in the circuit to act as a buffer, the alternator can put out up to 150 volts, depending on engine rpm. When the smoke clears, that “simple test” could end up costing you several thousand dollars for new electronics

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.