BC 400 cold starting issuse

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by n4ane, Jan 21, 2022.

1. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    I do get smoking when cold but when is it to much? My girlfriends dad had (just sold it) a known BC400 in a Peterbuild and mine would out smoke his any day of the week.

tnt440 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Anything mechanical is gonna smoke pretty good when it's really cold. As long as it clears up once it comes up to temp your all good. I resonate with comment about the fire department Lol. I haze the yard out every morning when it's cold

Even more if she's a bit worn or a lower compression build

tnt440 and Dino soar Thank this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    @Brettj3876 is exactly correct.

You don't know the situation with that truck. For all you know someone may have turned up the fuel and slowed the timing down. It is extremely common for the 400 to smoke and smoke when they are cold. I have seen them smoke to where I can believe someone might call the fire department. That is not out of the ordinary.

The big cam engines are like two completely separate things from when they are cold to when they are warm. Although the 350 is much much much better in that regard. I get almost no smoke when it's cold with my 350.

Here are the questions that you really need to answer.

1) Does your truck burn oil?
    2) Do you have a miss?
    3) Does it smoke after the truck is warmed up?
    4) Does the truck have power?

If everything is fine after it's warmed up, forget about it.

If you're not burning oil and everything else is good and you absolutely can't stand it, set your timing at 65 and that will slow the smoke down.

And have a pump shop go over your pump and set it to the original specs and put new injectors in and do the overhead.

n4ane and tnt440 Thank this.
  5. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    When its warm outside it clears up but on cold days it will still smoke when warm just not anything like when its cold. And after I fixed all the oil leaks I haven't had to add oil between oil changes. But I have noticed a small puddle about the size of a dollar bill folded in half under the puke tube at the end of the day but thats it. I wish I had a local pump shop but I am going to have to ship mine off somewhere to be looked at.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Have the overhead done.

If you send everything to premco, Warren can take care of it. If you're going to do that replace the injectors also.

Then make sure the overhead is set right.

And if you really want less smoke set the tming at 65.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.