BC brake check stations

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by gokiddogo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Are they ALL mandatory? I don't go this way often, but I remember there being about half a dozen between Calgary and Vancouver. Only one says trucks MUST stop and check brakes. The others are on green signs and do not use the word must.

I will admit I often just blast by all except for the one east of Hope. Never been inspected or questioned where I did my brake checks.
    @not4hire
    @BigHossCummins

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I don’t recall any where you actually had to stop. Although been over 20 years last time our. They were widening highway at Golden BC that trip. Bout friggin time!

4. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I've heard they like to hand out $500 tickets if you don't show you stopped on your log. And with the excessive amount of brake check spots... some of them are a half hour from the last one.
    And the only real steep decline is just before Hope.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The mandatory brake checks are marked as such and use a regulatory sign (white sign with black and/or red markings). Green signs give directions and distance. Yellow signs are advisory; their instructions are not mandatory, but if something happens as a result of not following the sign the driver is more likely to be charged.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Documents/drivers3.pdf

If you have not stopped at the Ten Mile Hill brake check (east of Golden; 51°16'23.3"N 116°45'31.4"W), you were in violation. There is at least one regulatory sign (the top one in the picture below) followed by several direction signs for the brake check.

Regulatory Signs.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    MartinFromBC, taodnt and gokiddogo Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks.
    I think that means there are only 2, before golden and before hope. That sounds much more reasonable.

7. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    I believe the westbound brake check east of Field is not mandatory as well.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    There is another mandatory one westbound at Illecillewaet (east of Revelstoke; 51°10'45.4"N 117°45'51.3"W).

9. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    i always heard the green signed ones were green because they were in the national park.

no idea on truth of that.

company wanted us to stop at those, so i did.

from memory westbound, field, golden, albert canyon, the one top of merritt, zopkios

eastbound, the one before kamloops, the kamloops scale

thats all i remember

BigHossVolvo and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    theres a slope westbound somewhere near rogers that has a heckuva ride, found it strange there was no brake check there, it had a womans name

11. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    You are on the money, company policy for me, has always been to stop at all of them. I had a level 1 in Golden this summer, and they told me regardless of the sign, they're all mandatory. Fellow driver skipped Albert Canyon, got Level 1 in Hope and was fined $1500.00. CVSE are usually camped out in Merrit & Zopkios. They have camera's on the Inks Lake one (before Kamloops) and nail guys at the Scale all the time for not stopping (They're pretty sensitive in Kamloops about Brake Checks).

Regardless of all that, I would stop and do a proper brake check. Had some weird #### happen, tires go flat between Inks Lake and Kamloops, had a brake pod split and lock up a wheel coming into Zopkios; BC mountains are hard on ####.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.