BC brake check stations

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by gokiddogo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    That's the trick, dump the bags BEFORE you hit the bridge and get stuck and wait for the C.V.S.E., or M.T.O. or Transport Quebec to arrive, some guys still don't understand the procedure... That was good of you to help the guy out, probably a new driver on oversize..

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    If you're not from BC and you hit the first scale inside BC, if it's winter, you better have a set of triples, or 2 sets of singles for a single trailer (no matter, full, empty, tandem or tridem). They'll check for them.

4. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Any idea if they are gonna start checking for Chains on Hwy 3 between Sparwood and the border? I’m setup for the US and I have 6 auto socks. Was doing just fine, until they changed the laws. Not in the mood to spend 1k on chains and hangers and removing my fenders for 250kms once every few months.

5. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Sparwood would be one of the logical places they would check, as it's a border scale. Any border scale would be a more likely place for a chain check, rather than an inland scale. Washington went to "hang" regulation years ago, so the scale officers can see if passing trucks actually have chains on board, rather than having drivers have to root around in their cabs or sideboxes to prove they did have chains on board, to save time..

6. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea I figured,

Never seen a check yet, however they just doubled the fines, so that tells me they find it profitable; hence here comes the checkpoints.

7. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I made my lit up chain hangers very easy to remove. And put a plug to the main rear light panel. Just tape it off so no water gets in. I drilled a hole next to the bottom one for the hanger. Got a pair of removable hangers for the winter. So since I've ripped up my back in a couple of places, I just unhook, the pop the hangers off. Throw the triples on the rear axle simple and no back strain. The mud flaps are nice to kneel on instead of dirty slush. Pop them back on, hook up, and away I go. 12 minutes if I don't dawdle.

BigHossVolvo and Zeviander Thank this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Have you got pictures? I know there's lots of folks who couldn't care less about BC, but it's growing on me quite quickly and I'd like to show my boss since I wouldn't want to just sit and wait for a plow if I can chain up and keep rolling.

I've also got an on-topic question now that I've (finally) started running into BC. Are brake checks mandatory whether empty or loaded? Not that I'm looking to blow them, but if I'm running empty, it would help save some time if it's not mandatory.

9. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Mandatory, not optional. Empty, loaded, bobtail, makes no difference. Huge fine if caught, never worth it. Easy ticket for C.V.S.E., just sit in their SUVs and wait for trucks to blow by...

10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Good to know, thanks. I saw a lot of guys going into the brake check area but not actually stopping or even getting out.

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Always remember, BC means Bring Cash.

Zeviander and Phantom Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.