Bearcat 980 and RM KL200p question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by YMItrucking, Mar 15, 2019.

1. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Hey guys, so I was going to pick up this Bearcat 980 and use this extra RM KL200p with it (I already had the amp as an extra).
    So my question is, do I only need to turn down the DK of the am and ssb only, or do I need to adjust something else (modulation pot, etc)? I have a watt meter, but I would like to leave the radio as close to factory as possible (except for lowering the DK).

Thanks for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    All I do with the radios used with my 203P is to lower the deadkey to about 1 or 1.5 Watts. That little amp is a workhorse.

YMItrucking Thanks this.
  4. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    If you look at the specs for that amp input power on Am is 1 to 4 watts and on SSB 2 to 10 watts and Im sure the stock carrier on the 980 is probably around 3 watts and SSB is no more that 10 watts, but as meteorgray suggested running 1 to 1.5 watts input is probably a better way to go, because those little amps do heat up in a hurry if you are long winded.

YMItrucking Thanks this.
  5. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I’ve run mine (KL203P) for the better part of a year with untouched radios. 3-4W.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  6. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Do you think it would be ok to run the KL200p (not the 203) with an untouched Uniden 980, or would it be better to have the DK lowered? I'm just concerned about letting someone on the inside of a new radio especially one that is as touchy as the 980.

7. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    As Wolverine said, the wonderful little RM Italy amps are reputed to heat up during long talkin' sessions. I've seen at least one report where the user feels his amplifier failed too early when fed a diet of something like 4 Watts' input, even though it is within factory specs.

This isolated anecdote, of course, does not prove the fact, and I bet a very high proportion of users just plug in a factory radio and let 'er rip. Regardless, those little units have a great reputation for longevity with a performance well beyond what their size would otherwise seem to predict.

Nevertheless, I've read many times where experienced users encourage inputs of maybe a Watt or so for the longest life and the clearest performance. Of course, by reducing the input, it correspondingly reduces the amp's output a bit as well, because nothing's free. Fortunately, the difference between maybe 80-100 Watts output from the amplifier and maybe 40-60 Watts output is theoretical at best in terms of actual communicating benefits gained. Proportionally, the biggest gains are realized in the first levels of wattage increases after entering the illegal land of amplified CB, and the benefits of big wattage increases quickly fall victim to the Laws of Diminishing Returns.

I believe I'm managed to confuse myself, so I'll stop with that bit of gibberish.

YMItrucking and wolverine11 Thank this.
  8. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Have the carrier measured, it may only be 3 watts or less, some of the 980 were set low by Uniden to make FCC happy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Reason for edit: Add
    Slowmover1 and YMItrucking Thank this.
  9. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I believe this likely. On an MFJ 945 Tuner I was showing 1W reflected and 70W forward.

It’s not bad advice to reduce power. But it’s best a trusted tech do the work.

IOW, don’t worry about it until it’s convenient. I’ve had the mike keyed for long minutes without noticeable heat.

But that’s also with a co-phase antenna setup and custom coax, etc. Spend the time and money on the antenna system.

YMItrucking Thanks this.
  10. PayneMatthews

PayneMatthews Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Hey so i'm a kid and new to all of this and i was wondering is the modulation knob thingy inside the cb housing where i would turn down the watts?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.