Bed Bugging

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ExtendedHoodPete, Apr 25, 2017.

1. ExtendedHoodPete

ExtendedHoodPete Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2013
    So I'm thinking about leasing a truck on to a bed bugging outfit like Mayflower/United, North American or Atlas. My dad worked for half of them all through the 90's but got out of it to be home more in the early 2000's so I know a little bit of what to expect but my main question is, is the game still played like it was back then? I have experience pulling a van and LTL but no household experience. Will they train me to pull HHG or will I need to start off in their truckload division and work up into trade shows and HHG? What should I really be expecting to make starting off in it. My dad made good money but that was 20 years ago... I'd be bringing my own truck along, not leasing one from them. I'm 22, not married and no kids so I really don't have many bills besides the truck. Dad said it was better to lease to an agent instead of the van line itself and I'd imagine that'd still be true today? Any advice in this? Will I be making enough to be able to pay for the truck and not worry about if I can eat or not?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The van line business is a shell of it's former self. When I started with NAVL in 1976 our new products fleet had over 2000 trucks in it. Combined with hhg and electronics there were close to 4000 trucks, plus agents.
    If you see 3 hhg trucks on the road of any carrier in the course of the day it is a lot.
    To illustrate. Origin agent loads a trailer, we haul it to dest agent who delivers it. There is so little money in the linehaul their own drivers won't accept the shipments. And we don't make any money to speak of, $1.40 mile
    Self service(U haul etc) Pods, plus the fact that the frozen real estate market prevents people from just moving to get a better job has killed hhg. Electronics is as bad, specialty logistics providers have taken over LTL high value shipments.
    Lease to an agent, he will be happy to abuse you teaching you how to load vans, then screw you later on by giving high $ shipments to his favorite drivers.

4. ExtendedHoodPete

ExtendedHoodPete Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks. That's about what I was thinking too, especially with everyone now trying to get into the business with all the pods and freight lines out there. Think I'm just gonna go haul frac sand

5. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Hug is definitely not what it was with discounts up to 78%. I do special products with a Mayflower agent. Yes some of the specialty products carriers have taken some of the business but it also depends on what agent you are with. A large agent with a broad customer base still has good rates. Yes there are discounts involved but you can still make a good living.

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    And don't forget the fly by nighters! Small local outfits farm their out of town moves to one truck operations that don't know what hours of service are.

7. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    If you think those agents will rip you off,they ain't
    Got nothing on a outlaw frac sand company.
    Do your homework.
    I know drivers who've been shafted out thousands of
    Dollars doing frac sand. Lost everything

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Two things.

I don't know what bedbugging is.

Second the Moving industry is a shell. A hollowed out overpriced survivor waiting for the glory days again which probably will not come around.

Besides anyone ordering up a PODS container to fill it and have it moved for them it's kinda steep. I suspect UHaul is the future of moving believe it or not.

9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    One thing.

Yawn

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    There are advantages and disadvantages to HHG but it's certainly not what it was. The van line situation has changed a lot but I do think signing with an agent rather than the van line sounds smart, but the trick is picking the right one. I do know there's a serious driver shortage for CDLs in moving. Not many people who wanna drive trucks also want to run around carrying heavy stuff so you'd have that advantage if you can hack it, but you'd need to develop some serious skills first. I'd recommend looking at a larger independent carrier based in an area you'd like to live in. To really make money at it you'll need a lot of skills. You'll need to be good at moving, fit enough to do moving, able to run a crew of a half dozen guys you don't know, supervise them, interact with the customers, interact with the company, DOT, etc. The paperwork is also crazy regular to normal freight. Every piece gets inventoried and condition reported. Figure on 30 sheets of paperwork for a full trailer.

here's the tag line if that paragraph is too long or boring:

Moving: It's a long con you can't do for all that long.

11. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My ex works in operations for a large HHG company in Indianapolis.
    According to her the only benefit to running HHG is low mileage to the operator, but time wise it's not near as lucrative as a decade ago much less the 80's. There is too much local competition now, and the POD setups by ltl companies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.