Beer load and reefer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flashdrive7, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I picked up a load of canned beer in Fort Worth TX bound for Las Vegas NV. (Sounds like a good party) I discussed with my boss about using the reefer. He said the broker said run dry. But he would check. He didn't get back to me and was deeply concerned about the heat. Over one hundred degrees all the way to Vegas. I can just imagine how hot it was in a dry trailer

I turned in the unit and set it a 65 degrees. The receiver didn't comment and there were no bad calls from the broker. But the boss gave me a friendly reprimand that my actions could have caused us to lose payment.
    He said if the customer says no reefer, than no reefer.

Again, I couldn't believe that they expected a shipment of perishable beverage to go three days in sweltering heat and not suffer damage.

Any thoughts, advice etc?

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    If it was Bud they do not care. Coors on the other hand wants 50(?) IIRC. Always follow what the BOL says.

Oldironfan and dunchues Thank this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Your boss is the one who loses money if the customer refuses payment. If the boss tells you to do something that isn't unsafe or illegal, verify that you aren't misunderstanding, and do it.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    65 on cycle won’t really start up often ... as far as refusing to pay that’s a crock it’s stored at room temperature in every beer plant I’ve loaded at ... many loads are loaded into dry vans so I suspect the heat does little to it

6. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I looked at every word on the bol and saw nothing about Temp. However, in all capital letters it read PERISHABLE.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I've hauled Bud a few times out of their Fairfield CA plant and the BOL wanted it kept at 60. I also hauled a load of Miller out of the Coors plant in Golden CO in August to California and they had no temp requirements.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  8. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    Your reply goes hand in hand with my question.
    It was Miller was hauling.

Trucker61016 and magoo68 Thank this.
  9. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    And also I took some bud from the Los Angeles plant a few times and they were very strict about the temperature and demanded a food grade clean trailer.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I run beer or any alcohol at 65. If there is a reefer. If I had a van which I did either a ship container or standard dry van, I seriously don't give a ####. It's beer. If it goes bad because it's in the van too long oh well....

But the softie inside me does care. SO I'll run that reefer 65 out of St louis, baltimore or what have you.

Ive been known to run the reefer to cool people in a open dock outside in the hot summer sun with doors open while working. Never heard a word about it.

11. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Miller doesn't give a ####, used to haul it all the time in a dry van.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.