Beginning to get desperate, could use help/advice.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by buddha_, Aug 16, 2022.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Best of Luck on your Journey and keep us informed of your progress !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

ELDT just means you have to go to SOMEBODY'S CDL school to get your CDL. You can search the FMCSA's site for any CDL school or trucking company school to make sure you aren't getting a bogus school.
    Training Provider Registry

Also, in your case, I would get the HazMat at time of your original CDL. You've already paid for the expensive parts and having HazMat never hurts you ability to get hired.

4. buddha_

buddha_ Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2022
    I know that I currently am a four wheeler myself, but I get the frustration. They will go under the spelling and when you try to safely pass, they will speed up to ridiculous speeds so you can’t, even if you’re the only two on the road. Never allow you to merge, etc… East Coast has some TERRIBLE drivers and seriously looking into trucking has opened my eyes even more to this fact.

i honestly am excited to not sweat from sun up until sundown… my current job averaged 112F inside for a couple weeks here, even up in Maine. All for a wonderful $19/hour.

Seems like this post and conversing with her through it has settled her quite a bit, extremely grateful for that.

5. buddha_

Aug 15, 2022
    Thank you! I absolutely will!

austinmike Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

You can run 30,000 miles in a truck with student and trainer in 6-8 weeks. The time you share a truck with a trainer is going to feel like the longest period of your life, anyway. ;-)

The space in a truck is about the same as a small apartment's bathroom. Having 2 people in it for about 20 hours per day, everyday is harder than solo trucking. But you learn alot, if your trainer has experience. BTW, ask how much experience your trainer has soon as you are assigned one. Have your trainer call/text/email you before you meet so you and him can talk about the next few weeks and what stuff to bring and not bring with you. There is a higher percentage of truck drivers that smoke than the public, but at many companies you can request a non-smoker. I did. My mom smoked when I was a kid, I don't have some imaginary allergy to smoking it just gives me headaches and makes me mad so I avoid smokers, when possible. It's not always possible.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    austinmike and buddha_ Thank this.
  7. buddha_

Aug 15, 2022
    This makes a lot more sense! I want to get all of my endorsements right away, the TSA screen might take too long though… I’m seeing wait times off 2-4 months currently

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

If we can't help the next fellow what's the point of being here? Truck drivers almost always will help if you ask.

austinmike and buddha_ Thank this.
  9. tscottme

Everybody is waiting on the govt. You can't get your HazMat until you have your CDL. All ANY student can do is complete their tasks and wait on the govt. Companies that want new0hire to have HazMat or TWIC understand the govt is the roadblock. If you can afford it, get your TWIC at the same time, you save a little money. I got my TWIC for HazMat tanker and have shown it to one company TWICE in 5 years. It's good for ports, rail yards, maybe refineries. I think TWIC is just an application and fingerprints from Identigo. Maybe covid has that process bogged down also.

buddha_ Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Apply online at YRC/Yellow and see what happens.
    The local terminals don't make the decision on hiring; that goes through the corporate office.
    `
    I've seen that happen before. Drivers wanted to work for Old Dominion, but said the local terminal told them they don't need any drivers. We told them to apply online anyway, because the local terminal doesn't make the final decision. They did that and were hired.
    ~
    Apply here and maybe luck out:
    Tuition-free CDL Driving Academy - Dock Worker Jobs …

austinmike, buddha_ and tscottme Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime is a good place to get started. Hires in 48 states, so if you and your girlfriend decide to move to a warmer climate, you won't have to change companies, unless you want to.

buddha_ and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.