Being an Owner Operator vs. City Unionized Driver

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NorthEastTrucker, Sep 21, 2019.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I've done that for a couple years and then got stupid and bought a truck. This owner operator thing is the ultimate rat race... Let's see who can bid the load down to nothing race... LOL

Opendeckin and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I started out, with a couple Union jobs, they were very hard to get. Neither is still around. Today, I see UPS hiring 70 cpm. Maybe if I were younger. Best thing you have going for you now, is the 17 yrs of pension. The pay and schedule is also hard to beat.Being an O/O has a lot of unknowns.Ive known many, who like Me, did it as a way to make as much as a good Union job paid. While the pay gap has closed somewhat. When times are tough, like 20 yrs ago, and again 10 yrs ago. The pay gets cut, quick.I think you should hang in there, get as much pension you can tied up. A lot of my friends qualify for retirement. Some are choosing to continue working, simply for the money, and knowing they don’t have to, are enjoying it. The next 17 yrs. will be here in no time. Short answer is your much better off, than an O/O. You punch out, and leave all the problems behind. True peace of mind.O/O it never ends.

4. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Thanks I appreciate your honesty. I do understand that OTR trucking is more difficult & the grass on the unionized job is probably greener/better overall which is why I decide to make this thread. However, I guess I'm factoring how many drivers left oppose the ones who returned. The ratio has been 5:1. Putting up with city driving 4 wheelers cutting you off every other minute to customers arguing over time delays etc.. it's a lot. Now don't get me wrong the pay is then main key and absolutely excellent overall so there's not much of a complaint there. However, I figured with newly posted OTR jobs rates no averaging $0.60 to 0.70 cpm @ 2700 miles average ($1620/week to $1890), dispatch typing calls on the satellite, dealing with lesser pickups/drops etc..it just seemed less hectic. But of course I'm also basing off of 1999 to 2001 when I drove for a transport freight company @ $0.34 cpm $20 for Pickups/Drops but there was No Gps back then just my Randy McNally truck map book. Now with all these computerized gps location devices that even show low bridges under 13.6ft, Google maps for traffic delays and more truck stops available times have changed from 20 years ago so OTR got a little easier on the open freeways.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2019
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well the first thing that comes to mind for me are your benefits. If you are an owner operator and you wanted to have the exact same benefits that you get from that Union I can't imagine the astronomical cost especially if you have a family. And if you factor putting away the same amount of money that you would get through your pension I just can't see that happening.

The second thing is if people cut you off in traffic and you have customers that give you a hard time there's no difference with your own truck. The difference is the time that you spend waiting now you very well may not get paid for it with your own truck or you may have to fight and argue and carry on to get paid for that or to get paid for anything. Shippers and receivers can take up a lot of your time that you currently get paid for.

If you leased onto a really good company that could mitigate some of that, but to match the benefits that you have in the pension that you will get I just don't see how you could do that.

And if you have kids consider this. My dad is 91 years old. If he did not have the pension and the benefits from the union he was in, I don't know what we would do.

When we were kids we always wanted him to have his own business. In retrospect, he definitely made the right decision.

It's something to think about.

roadtech and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My thinking is do what you want to do, we can not tell you what to do, and yes you can make a good living without paying union dues. I am an OO, but at times will drive someone elses truck, I could easily join the union and make just a hair over half of what I do, but would have benefits, and union does.

City type driving is not for everybody, neither is otr, but a guy can make a good living at either, just different lifestyles and a different set of headaches, only you can pick your poison.
    I personally would not advise you as to which one, probably because they do not make enough money for me to do your job, just not my style.

Opendeckin and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Don't allow who you are to interfere with who you could be.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Seems to Me, it boils down to what you can put up with. Any Occupation, especially Trucking. I’ve met Guys who threw in the towel, even though they were profitable. Just got tired of the aggravation. A local Job right now, sounds great. But I know how I am. Won’t take long, I’ll regret giving up my Truck, and get restless.I, like the OP, wonder. Except I’m on the opposite side, as an Independant. Keeping my Teamsters withdrawal card, just in case.

9. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    All of your opinions are educational information. Besides my work benefits my wife has a career with her degree so she has 100% benefits etc (it makes up my difference).. So if I decided to go OTR she is content just like the rest of my family which is good for the encouragement. I have gotten bored with my local job but its more or less the lack of the lacking management department mismanaging, displaying ignorance, facetiousness, hostility etc.. towards the drivers using termination as a scare tactics as if they're the only company that exists causing drivers to feel overwhelmed with anxiety. Even if I stay for a few more years there I honestly can't see myself there for the full retirement. I've done some short hauling here and there on weekends outside my full time job and that's what got me pondering other opportunities in life. OTR being a Broker is a really big jump financially & lifestyle so this is why I am noting all the advice from others that I can gather. Maybe it's because as of late I've been watching alot of Trucker Youtube vlog videos..but then again alot of them are newbies with less than 1 to 5 years driving experience not always teaching proper methods of Trucking. I could be just going through a midlife not really appreciating local driving a convenience. But regardless I still enjoy Trucking just like 23 years ago when I got my cdl while I've seen many at work lately wanting to retire early because they're tired of driving in big city congested traffic on the same daily route. Or they just are fed up with the chaos with dispatch & management.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2019
    Reason for edit: Typos
    Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If you haven’t already read it @blairandgretchen has a thread around here somewhere. It’s been so long since he updated it I forgot what it’s called.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.