Bells cb and why...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by JesusFreak316, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesusFreak316

JesusFreak316 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Just wanted to give props to Bells CB, I decided to upgrade radios about a month ago but since I haven't had to do that in over 15 years it's been a daunting task research wise just say the least, however this forum has been helpful so thank you guys....
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible but after Googling and youtubing it basically came down to three places (for me personally, not saying there is not other good cb shops or places to buy out there) Bells, Bobs and last but....yeah just last lol Fine Fine Cb Shop
    Fine tune= I'm not here to say anything bad about anybody ,that's not how I roll, all I can do to you is tell you my personal experience with him.... okay obviously the guy is a little off and he's not sociable but I'm not going to judge him for that, and despite it being hard for me to sit through his "pay attention" videos I do believe at the end of the day he is probably one of the better techs out there, but the bottom line is I made a couple attempts over a months time periode to get a radio from him (a stryker 955 )which is not even the radio I really wanted but it's the one he sells, however other than a couple really short odd hour weird responses on Facebook messenger like "you awake?" (I answered yes) you "still awake?" (2hrs later at midnight) (I was asleep) "phone number?" which I gave him (he never called) I just couldn't get a radio from him (which is a blessing in disguise I believe now that it's all said and done) now I never asked him one single question I know he doesn't like that, and he could have easily just given me a price and I would have PayPal'ed him the money no questions ask and waited till it got here, but nothing but crickets from him.... oh well, ironically though if you "pay attention" in one of his videos he actually gives props to Bells CB saying that he's a good Tech and doesn't do any hack work, of course Bells is not as good as him no one is, that pork chop guy will remind us again I'm sure

Bobs Cb= super great people I called over there and was treated very well, they do have a website, it's a little mediocre-at-best but I just couldn't find any videos or info on what he does tune-up wise to the radios, or a lot of info on them in general other than they've been in business for a long time and few guys here and on a couple other forms saying that the radios they have from them have been good , so I'm sure I would have done well buying there as well

Bells Cb= okay again remember this is just my opinion but this screwdriver guy goes above and WAY Beyond when it comes to his web sight, YouTube videos and customer service, unlike the first shop mentioned in this thread I sent him over a dozen emails asking questions and advice and he personally responded to me quickly every time, all his prices ,options, upgrades are all out there in easy to view format on his site, plus they are extremely fair in my opinion, to fair to be honest, his price on the radio I bought was cheaper than Amazon and the guy has a shop, a staff and overhead, I honestly don't know how he does it as cheap as he does....but above all that, Just like Bob's I never seen Screwdriver say a bad word about anyone! unlike some others out there, not in a video, on a forum ,nothing!! Plus the guy puts out videos to try to help the do-it-yourselfers! what more could you ask for in a CB shop? Is he the best tech? Who cares? there are those that will argue that until the end of time but I'm sure my new radio will work fine even if someone wants to call it an overmodulated splatterbox lolll

I'm in no hurry but I can't wait for my new toy to get here (Galaxy 99v2) and I did ask him to do a couple things different on my tune up report so we'll wait and see if he does, regardless if he does or doesn't I can't recommend his shop more highly! total Professionals in my opinion...

All right guys you take care and God bless I'm about to hang it up in a couple years after 35years of widow gazing but if you're ever rolling along I-90 in between Missoula Montana and Coeur d'Alene Idaho beore I do and a set of brown UPS triples Roll by you holler for the JesusFreak I'll try to get answer you on my "Mud-Duck" Bells "splatterbox" radio the best I can....( we run 19 or what we call 19 below although technically I think it's like 21 Below 1 or something (26.735) the 19 below comes from just fliping the lower channel switch on the Cobra 29 s with the "funny channels added" we ran for decades
    God Bless

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JesusFreak316

Mar 9, 2019
    Sorry about the spelling errors, I typed this out real quick and now it keeps telling me I am "spam" when I try and go back and edit it lolllllll note to self=proof read before hitting post

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Can't go wrong with Bells...I've bought several radios from them and not once had a issue...even bought my base antenna from Bells. (MaCo Shooting Star)...

Screwdriver does good work, he did a video on one of the radios I bought from him, and when I got it hooked up, it did just like it did on his video...Other radios I bought from him however he didn't do a video on...he would have, but I think now he charges extra for that...didn't use to charge, but guess doing videos on every single radio you P&T takes up alot of time, which I can understand why he charges for that now.

Slowmover1 and JesusFreak316 Thank this.
  5. JesusFreak316

Mar 9, 2019
    Yeah it's $19.50 now but hey it takes time and he's got bills and employees to pay so no biggy to me...

Slowmover1 and jessejamesdallas Thank this.
  6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I’ve made several orders from Bells this past year. Some was custom work (though no radios). Prompt & efficient.

I’ve had a GALAXY 99v2 the past five years. Have really enjoyed it although it’s not in the truck this month.

The West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker is an addition you’ll want if the best pair of ears matters. Any brand/model of radio. See DX Engineering. I’ve had it since the same week I got the 99v2.

3310C5B5-3464-45EB-835F-7AA6F6506DCD.jpeg

Below is a few months ago when I was using the 99 to drive a 300W amp in a portable set up. (Partially pulled apart to go on the tech bench).
    7176DB17-B8E8-4222-B4EE-E5B53E261350.jpeg

7. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    A few months ago, I ordered some electronic parts from screwdriver. I was surprised when he refunded some dollars on the shipping cost, especially since I agreed to the shipping price to begin with. When someone is honest with me, they can always rely on my return business with them. The only thing I’m not sure about, is that screwdriver likes to bump the modulation up to around 123% or something like that, but he explains why on his website. If I ever order a radio from him and have an alignment done, I would ask him to set the modulation to 100% only. I’m sure he would have no problem doing that, if you were to ask him to. JesusFreak, let us know how you like your new radio.

8. JesusFreak316

Mar 9, 2019
    I'm not real worried about going a little over 100% modulation for 3 reasons

1 his article about that in the tech library on his page made sense to me

2 the scope in his tune up videos looks really clean with nothing flattening out unless he starts getting real loud,or is using a stock or amplified mic

And 3 I run a real quiet 636 microphone and I just don't sit there yelling, screaming and clucking like a chicken hauler into it loll, and I'm one that generally backs the mic gain down to 3/4 or more if necessary and run very little if any echo at all

I do guided fishing trips on the side and one of our sayings is "never guide the guide" so I'm not going to tell him how to do his job , he's the expert on this not Me, I did specify that I wanted it to sound clear first and loud second so we'll see what happens, he says he stands behind his work so if something's not right when I get it I'm sure he'll make it right

9. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I agree with nightstalker, I would rather have modulation set at 90 to 100% and run mic gain on full. Does the modulation limiter have to be disabled or removed to exceed 100% modulation ? If yes then I want it left intact and be satisfied with 90 to 100% which is usually what most manufacture service manuals recommend, whats the point of having a radio set at 123 % only to adjust mic gain to 3/4 , thats the same logic as using a power mic but turn the mic gain down to avoid squealing.

10. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Once he adjusts modulation to 125% he then needs to adjust the customers microphone, well I have multiple mics ( 198,636,56,sl41,) I like to use and if they are all adjusted for his tune they would be too tuned down for my other radios, Im not trying to discredit screwdriver , just for me personally , I would rather just opt for stock or basic alignment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.