Bells cb and why...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by JesusFreak316, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    When I had my 99v2 in my pickup the radio is set up for 12 watts carrier and 48 watts pep @ 100% modulation, with a Wilson 5000 mag mount, 20 to 30 miles barefoot was average talking to locals, some of which were on base station antenna, which helped.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JesusFreak316

JesusFreak316 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I hooked it up to the wires that go to the 12 volt plug right next to it so the radio will shut off when I turn the truck off, those wires are pretty thin gauged and during testing they did get a little bit warm with the radio set on full power and I don't want them to melt or anything if I get to jaw Jacking and forget to turn it down, also the radio drifts a whole lot less on SSB when the power is only set to half.... but you're right there's no doubt in my mind the radio will talk 25-30 miles without a problem if there's a halfway decent radio on the other end, as you can see it's still swinging the needle all the way over in the red at 5 miles away in the video with it only set on half power....

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    wolverine11 Thanks this.
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    If wites are getting hot then radio is workin hard...Why is it workin hard?
    Run 10ga with a fuseable link (not the glass type)power direct to battery and i hear its best to run gnd near the antenna base as possible...Dont understand that yet but its what i hear

5. JesusFreak316

Mar 9, 2019
    Not working hard it only pulls 2-3 amps on high but the wires its hooked up to are thinner than even your standard cb cord, I could run it straight to the battery or higher amp fuse inside the fuse box in the engine compartment and never have an issue but this was way quick and easy and the radio shuts off with the key, half power gets out great as you heard and I'm not into talking 20 miles in the first place, plus it's not even practial in a mobile in the mountians of Northern Idaho to be honest, I'm not a crank every thing tp 11 kind if guy.....

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Well still there is resistance and with wires gettin warm,its workin hard to supply the amps ya are pulling....Atleast upscale the power supply wire...That #### makes me nervous to hear anyone haven that issue...Possible fire there..

7. JesusFreak316

Mar 9, 2019
    I will be going back through it and seeing if it was actually getting warm or not ( it was a fairly warm that day with the sun shining in the truck when I put it in so it may not be as bad as I thought )but I'll check it out and redo it if need be, it was a pretty quick install to be honest and I only drive the truck once or twice a week at most, but I will be heading out to cut wood pretty soon and talking / shooting skip from the top of the mountain at 8000 feet should be pretty cool maybe..

8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I was a huge fan of the COPS tv show and I will never forget this episode. I almost had to gouge my eyes out LOL

JesusFreak316 Thanks this.
  9. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    My F150 had front and back 12v power ports and I would use the K40 heavy duty power cord that plugs into port ( available in truck stops) and never had an issue on high power, I believe the power cord is 12 gauge and comes with 15 amp fuse.

10. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    After seeing video of your 99v2, with the blue lights, you can only imagine how bad I want to hook mine up in this T680, but even if I remove cb tray and plastic piece with tracks, to make room to accomadate it, dont know if I would trust stock antennas, just never know when something may go wrong, but I guess that could be the case of any antenna system.

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    He never showed us the reference.
    He never told us the voltage or frequency of the tone. Plus it was only a single tone and there are 4,999 other tones he conveniently neglected to show us.
    He showed us nothing of value.
    The waveform was so small, any distortion would be invisible to the naked eye.
    I'm sure he impressed folks who know nothing about a perfect waveform.
    He couldn't even show a single-scale waveform or blow it up double-scale and show us some detail.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.