belly dump switch saftey

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Ezrider_48501, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    on my belly dump trailer it is a single hot line that controls my gates. supply positive gates open, kill the circuit and they close. have it wired to a single switch.

now i did put a small amount of thought into preventing accidental switching when i wired the truck in the first place but sometimes i am worried that i didn't do enough.

i have the switch mounted away from other commonly used switches (jakes/wipers ect) have the switch with down being closed up being open (in case something where to fall and hit the switch) also have a guard over the switch. but some times i feel thats not enough. i can only imagine what it would cost you if you were to accidentally drop your load at 65mph on a busy highway.

I am thinking of adding a second switch wired in series to the main dump switch basically a ready to dump switch and then a dump switch. but then if for some reason when you closed your gates if you didn't switch off both switches switching on your ready to dump switch could open the gates.

What have you guys done in this department to prevent accidental dumping.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    No worries mate. You have the typical setup. Just keep your hands away from the switch unless you plan on using it. I have had 1 dump failure on the road and it was bad. River rock on a secondary paved road at 35mph. Electrical short problem opened the gates. Folks where it happened got a free load of driveway rock.:yes2557:

4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Couple years ago a came up on a load of swamp muck that got dumped on 694 on the west side of the twin cities. What a mess.

5. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    How about just replacing the toggle switch with a nicely installed key switch. You could also have a short lanyard (with key on end) mounted on the dash within reach of the switch. Just a thought...

insertnamehere Thanks this.
  6. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    It happens several times a year here on the freeway, especially by the main gravel pit. I have always wondered how it happens. Now I know.

7. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    I don't think it was any of the guys working on the same job i was on but there were two loads dumped on a state highway traveling back and forth on a couple weeks ago.

they were cleaned up pretty quick grader came out and pushed it off into the ditch. i can only immagin what the vehicles behind them trucks. hopefully no one was right behind them when it happened.

8. sloth1

sloth1 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I have run end dumps and belly dumps and a toggle switch with a guard. Hope and pray the gremlins don't open your gates.

9. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

Just do this; get a toggle switch with the little flip up protector ( Cole-Hersy makes one ) so you CNA"T hit the gates w/o flipping the cover up...??

10. thirdreef

thirdreef Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    Most bottom dump switches have a safety cover over the switches, so you have to open the cover, to be able to activate the dump switch.

11. tw1005tx

tw1005tx Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2011
    We have a push/pull SW mounted to the far right dash, the main problem is the wire shorting to another hot wire then their going to open, I disconnect the wire at the solenoid valve most of the time. Forgot to mention I was empty going about 60 a loaded one coming toward me about the same speed with base material his opened broke all the lights in front and both window shields what if it had been some kind of rock.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.