belly dump switch saftey

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Ezrider_48501, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thirdreef

thirdreef Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    That's the ones that I have seen for years being used for your bottom dump switches.. Worked well then should still be the best protection from an accidental opening.

4. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Do what you want switch wise...the gremlins will come. Locally we run the risk say within 10 to 15 miles........any more or on the interstate we chain the beach. Should be a limit chain for spreading on the doors anyway so we used that. Couldn't afford to have the door open when they weren't supposed too. Could get expensive real fast and s&g was cheap.....

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    When I pulled belly dump I had the same concern and I had my switch mounted up on the headliner with a switch cover. When I was doing county road gravel we dump running about 30 mph and lots of hills around here I wanted to out the switch on the gear shift with another switch to power main switch. My belly I needed power to open and close. My sister In law has bellys with a control box you must turn key then flip switch to open.

It always amazed me the people that put there switch right by everything else that could be easily hit on accident. I always felt drawn to the switch like I wanted to hit it driving down the road.

6. Athecal

Athecal Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2023
    I know this thread is a decade old but just in case some you still don't know the correct answer is pin your gate shut until you get to where you are dumping. Takes all of 3 minutes combined to pin it closed and get out and remove it if you're taking your time. Don't end up killing someone because you are lazy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.