Benifits For Your Drivers?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by XiZBiT, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    A lease from the big carriers is just a way for them to shift maintenance costs and fuel over to the driver. The driver is also not subject to health insurance and employee tax costs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TX_Proud

TX_Proud Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Yes, once you accept a load, then you are committed to meeting the pick/delivery times. That has nothing to do with employee status or not. I do not know why that concept is so difficult to grasp! As an O/O, you CHOOSE whether to accept that load, or wait on another load, or don't move your truck at all.....THAT is your decision.

4. TX_Proud

TX_Proud Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, I think folks who buy a truck/trailer and then lease on to a carrier are only wannabe independents. No offense intended, but if you are going to be independent, then stay away from a lease carrier, especially one that has it's own trucks to dispatch. Hire you a dispatcher, set your own expectations, get your own authority and do what you darn well please (within the gov regs). There are limits to what a lease carrier can do for you as far as freight (limited freight choices, servicing their customer base, etc.) and if you want to haul THEIR freight, then they may have some to offer you. You don't accept a load they offer, you probably do go to the bottom of the list. But to think that you can make demands on a dispatcher of a lease carrier and they will kowtow to your every whim and wish is unrealistic, all the while claiming "I am a contractor and you can't treat me like an employee."

If on the other hand, your goal is working towards truly becoming an independent and you own or are buying a truck, but 1) don't own your own trailer, 2) can't buy fuel without an advance, 3) aren't figuring and paying your IFTA, 4) aren't paying your own plates, etc., etc., etc., then perhaps you take whatever freight comes your way as long as it fits your business plan.

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Having been independent and then a lease O/O with Landstar I have to tell you there are two sides to the issue.
    When I was independent I was working 100+ hrs in 8 days, and this was after I had hid all the hours I could on my loose leaf book. Leased to Landstar I HAD to run legal, 70 in 8, and made just as much money if not more as before. Even giving up a % to them it was worth it for the better loads and having them as my sales team.

6. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well, since you can't seem to GRASP the notion that if the Company you are leased to CONTROLS what loads you pick-up; technically they DIRECT your work you are considered (bu the IRS) an employee and in order to differentiate between a "contractor or employee" you have to jump thru 4 "hoops" to make this determination.
    Since (in THIS thread and others) I have supplied the LINK to the IRS' website that explains all this and you chose to ignore it and continue arguing about something you have no idea about, I wonder why you even bother? Why not sell your equipment, because obviously there is a problem understanding simple IRS rules.

7. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If they tell you: "We have a load from A to B", you do not take it and as a result you are "punished" (put on the bottom of the dispatch list) That is NOT considered giving the "driver" a true choice. That is in fact "Forced Dispatch".

"Take this load or else", is basically what they are saying, so even you were "leasing" the truck, you would still be considered an employee.

8. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    I guess this is why I felt like a company employee and NOT a contracted driver. I'm not trying to pursue the company legally because I came out with my shirt still on. I did however have learned a few things about the whole lease program.

9. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Jacksonville , FL
    OK enlighten me since you're real sharp with the laws and the regulations...
    Where is the difference between an employee and independent contractor ?
    Why should a driver consider being treated as an employee instead of and independent contractor ? ( money related )

10. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    A contracted BROKER is as what it states. You are NOT an employee of that company and hold your own authority by law.
    Even if you Lease a truck to a company it's clearly stated in the Lease "somewhere" to cover the LESSOR so to NOT have to withhold TAXs, BENEFITS, ect on you. They are Leasing the TRUCK! NOT the driver.

The only reason the qualify you as a driver is for THEIR Ins purposes.

It's UP to you as a LESSEE weather or not you pay a driver that is qualified and wish to provide that driver with benefits.
    I do know by LAW you cant 1099 your driver.

If you provide your driver with a truck? He's an EMPLOYEE Not a 1099 Contractor.

My 2 Cents,
    Matthew Sr.

11. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    But the point is that by simply saying "take the load or not" does NOT mean the company is "NON-FORCED DISPATCH". The IRS ONLY considers a company that offer a "choice" of SEVERAL loads (at least MORE than ONE) as TRUE "Non-Forced" Dispatch and MIGHT consider the company that does not as an "EMPLOYER". But hell, don't take MY word for it, call them yourself and ASK them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.