bennett driveaway?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by grayghost, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Pilotkelson1056

Pilotkelson1056 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2012
    No I'm not a recruiter. My name is Vanessa, I'm 28, and I've been with Bennett for about two years now. I love working with Bennett to death. I've gotten to visit so much of my family across the USA, I've gotten to see my favorite band multiple times, and I've attended/seen more hockey arenas than I can count. I've been to Alaska and Newfoundland, places I never thought I'd have the opportunity to see. I have been to every state now but Hawaii, and everywhere in Canada but the N.W Territories and Nunavit. When I only flew back from runs I kept writing. I published a book that I promote on the back of my car so everyone driving passed me can see. I've managed to accomplish a lot in a little time and be happy the entire time too. I wouldn't trade these memories for anything.

I came here because I'm at risk for termination and I will find out January 8th. I'm freaking out because I don't know how I'd go back to living a normal life, being stuck in one city. Driving is the only thing that makes me happy. Maybe sleeping in my car is a joke to you but to me it's a way of life. I love exploring and being on my own. Maybe when I am in my 40's will I grow tired of being a nomad but for now this is amazing. I am not interested in being married and I certainly don't want kids. The RVS have nice beds and they provide heat too. So it's basically like living in an RV. I only move RVs now and I tow my car. When I am driving back I sleep in my car and I have a bed in there too. I'm terrified to be terminated. It would turn my whole world upside down.

View attachment 76108
    (Picture is the inside of my tow car)
    VanessaLovesHockey.com

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 84vette

84vette Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Hello All
    I am new to the driveaway. I am working for Bennett I need to get a hitch for a Semi or strait truck to hook up my tow car. Been looking on the Internet but no luck can anyone help me with this?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. 84vette

84vette Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Why are you being terminated ?

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    towhitches dot net

is one place

6. screams

screams Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Hatfield, PA
    Hey all, I am about to try Bennett and wonder about the business aspect. As IC's do you carry a particular type of liability insurance? Can you recommend an insurance company? Are you an LLC? Any advice on how to obtain that? Any advice on record keeping?

And to the lady who might get terminated - sure hope you don't. Office jobs are a heartache 😭

7. screams

screams Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Hatfield, PA
    Also is it true they make you pay the tow if the truck breaks down? A recruiter for another company said no, but wouldn't elaborate on their policy. I intend to ask Bennett recruiter these questions but want to hear from unbiased folks too.

8. Pilotkelson1056

Oct 9, 2012
    Well, I lost my job yesterday. It was the most soul crushing thing that's ever happened to me work wise. I never loved a job more or made it more my life than anything. It really disturbs me to think I'm nearly 30, I have a useless college degree, and I can't even cut it with a job that 80 year old men do. I'm gonna take the month off to recollect myself and think about other drive away companies or maybe fedex custom critical. I just know I can't sit in one town. That's not me.

Good luck to everyone who wants to work for Bennett. They are a fantastic company. They are organized, pay well, and very fair to their drivers. I have no hard feelings for the amazing memories they have provided me with.

9. screams

screams Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Hatfield, PA
    Those 80 year old men have done it so long they can drive in their sleep. Us newer drivers will make the occasional mistake. It's wise to take a month and do some research. The market is such that somebody will hire you.

I did hire on with Bennett and can't see a way to earn enough. I thought other posters were exaggerating when they said you can't make any money! Deciding whether to buy a personal vehicle and tow or just go back to traditional trucking.

10. Pilotkelson1056

Oct 9, 2012
    I am working for Starfleet now. They pay better than Bennett but they don't have near as much work nor is there an online loadboard. I hate having to call to see what work is available, then quickly research profitability while I hope someone doesn't take the load I'm looking into. Also hate flying into Chicago. It was much easier for me to leave my car at the airport in Des Moines. Of course I am probably just bitter because I was so used to my routine. I'm hoping things will get busier in March.

11. Pilotkelson1056

Oct 9, 2012
    I found it very easy to make money with Bennett. Look up flights from the west coast back to dsm or msp via southwest. If you left on Friday to Seattle, there are $142 flights back to MsP. Then take the Jefferson lines bus to clear lake and use earl to get you back to Forest City. The run pays about $900 and it costs you $200 to get back. 4 days of work for $700. I started leaving my tow car at the airports so I could eliminate the bus and cab, $70ish per trip.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.