BEST A.P.U.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FREEBRD, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I've got 11,500 hours on a TriPac. Only maintenance has been PMs and they replaced the alternator recently. Definitely check on maintenance, and where you can get it done. Nothing like expecting the thing to keep you warm, except it's broke and you may have to drive a 500 - 1000 miles for service.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vaquero

vaquero Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Thermo-king of Chattanooga did have TriPak apu's priced around $8,500.00 at one time.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  4. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    Check for APU on ebay.I saw some last week taken off for around $2500 with low hrs and lots of pics.Worth a look.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  5. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Yeah that CCS or CSS or whatever didn't really make anything they just "leased" the stuff and it's a Rigmaster unit they were leasing under a different brand. It does have a prettier case all polished up the way it is!

6. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I hate Rigmasters... they make more noise than the louder-than-a-freighttrain reefer behind my sleeper! You wanna torture a terrorist? Tie the ####### to a Rigmaster!

buddyvuk and TriPac Dude Thank this.
  7. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Our new Binders are coming in with International's idea of an APU installed. We haven't had any long enough to really know, but 2 are down already and the International Dealership has no clue how to work on them. I don't like em already 'cause they mount where the pass side storage compartment used to be, and we have to carry alot of stuff like air-hoses, drip buckets, etc. No "behind the cab" storage either 'cause all that exhaust crap (APU and "Smog Crap) runs back there and it runs HOT.

Was I buying the APU would be frame mount, AC and engine heat capiable and made by someone who had been making reefer units for years (same basic tech and parts available).

8. Capt._Chaos

Capt._Chaos Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Good points made.

I've used both and it's easier to get parts for the TK Tri-Pac than it is a Carrier.

I touched on the topic of parts availability in THIS ARTICLE I wrote a few years ago regarding making a wise choice on an APU purchase.

The RigMaster uses a Perkins engine, not a Kubota. The CAT engines were supposedly just Perkins engines painted yellow.

Some only think about the initial savings, and not over the long-term. They want instant gratification on the cheap.

If you think you ended up with a 300-lb. 'boat anchor' once your APU quit working, reading this other article I wrote may help you.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    On the subject of oil changes 1000 hours is 100 days of 10 hours or maybe less if run for all 34 of a 34 reset! Then 1500 hours is 150 days. You're not losing anything money wise on the oil changes as what 1.5 gallons of oil then a filter (TriPak and carrier units) and MAYBE an air filter versus the cost of fuel lost idling the truck engine AND the "Miles" you put on the engine while sitting still and idling! That cost isfar beyond the measley cost of service 3 time a year on these two APU's! The Rig Master was expensive needing a change every 100 hours not to mention a $15 air filter that yep got stopped up very fast but you could find at a NAPA store! I had to carry a few extras with me when in a dusty area. Ans yes Rig Master was loud and that cover vibrated with a sound all it's own! I can't wait to see if I can ever get back on the road and check out the new units. I do so enjoy new technologies!

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  10. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Great stuff here. My company doesn't offer APU's and then whine about over idleing.

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    RigBlasters should be declared evil, a hazard to the hearing of anyone parked within 50 feet, and crushed for scrap.

childerscarl1 and TriPac Dude Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.