best antenna is ?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by 2hellandback, Jul 31, 2013.

1. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Personally, in a Freightliner with a tweaked and peaked 959, a set of K40 coils to match have done me justice to make me happy. Plenty loud and very clear.

4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    The K40 is a very good antenna I'm partial to the MM9 though myself. Both are good but I seemed to get better range out of the MM9 than I did the K40. Seem to be a little better built to hand tree limbs as well. I previously ran Francis 5.5s good antennas for fiberglass BUT there is a difference since they have been bought out by I believe Barjan quality went down and they're just not the same anymore.

For the OP the Wilson 2000 is a good antenna as well. Has a recent amount of range should handle most of what you can throw at it. Is the 5000 worth it IMO no. I believe personally the extra $15 or $20 you can spend to upgrade to the 5000 is better spent on a hot meal. One of the CB forums did a study on how the popular antennas stacked up to the classic 102" whip. The K40 and monkey made MM9 both were the ones that came the closest. They're each about 45-65 depending on where you get them I would check into either one of those and then the Wilson 2000 being the top 3.

5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    So who do you think makes Wilson Antenna's now?

That's right! Good ol' Barjan...Along with Road King 56 Mic's and a whole host of other junk that use to be good stuff before the Dark Day's of Barjan...

6. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

The tallest resonant antenna you can legally put on your rig, over a metallic roof that's at least 9-ft in diameter from the feedpoint. Do NOT go overboard buying 9913 or Times LMR600 coax when good 'ol RG-58 A/U will do you fine. Coils are a way to raise the feedpoint impedance for an out-of-resonance shortened antenna rod. FWIW, a full quarter wave length antenna is somewhere close to 108 inches. IF you shorten that 9-foot whip at all for physical restrictions, the right way to do is it with coils. Good part: proper coils can accomplish this. Bad Part: Coils do not either transmit nor receive RF, so your shortened antenna will be less efficient than a full size antenna. And you'll have to pay pretty careful attention to where you mount the antenna.
    Today, in the mountains in NC, I saw a nice-looking Wilson 5000 on a permanent mount in the middle of the roof. Unfortunately, someone evidently told him that the outside corner of his rear bumper (on a pickup trick) would be....oh, I dunno ...... cool-looking. Crappy coax connectors at the antenna base, the Wilson 2000 coil was *duct taped* to the plastic rear tail light lens, and the whip described an arc forward, once it cleared the top of the tailgate, into a fairly uniform arc whose tip was so close to the stake bed socket before the passenger size C-pillar that he could draw an arc when he keyed up.

Not wanting to show my ham-ness, nor to draw undue attention to the 5 properly done roof mounts on my minivan, I clapped him on the shoulder, told him, "Good man! Very creative installs!" and then headed down the road to where my music gig was.

My supposition was that that when he told one of his buddies about our meeting, "this old guy with lots of antennas on his truck saw mine, and when I told him about them, he shook his head and just said, "Amazing job.") I'm guessing he's a drummer....... ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.