Best cb antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sgonza101, Nov 5, 2018.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    How so and be as detailed as possible with the detals..
    Did you only swap ant or did you do other stuff all at same time..
    Woulda picked up a 102 when at a cb shop a lil north of charlotte on monday but they didnt have any..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Lol. I told you how I did it. Read my email. Hahaha (Its Mike btw)

4. YMItrucking

Jul 22, 2016
    I dont have one right now, but I can take a few pics of the setup when I get back to the truck (but that wont be until Monday).

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Volvo244t ran a 102" with a 6" solid extension and it worked well he said. There was a picture of it on here somewhere. Probably in that long thread I started about the Cascadia. According to Ray in W. Memphis, he used a 7' SkipShooter to win key down contests back in the day, over the 102" steel whip. That was back when the Steel Whip was King. I don't remember the technical reasons he attributed to this success with the SkipShooter. The SkipShooter originated in Southhaven, MS or (Memphis). I'd say Ray had a big part in the success of that antenna. I never had much luck with Firestick antennas, but I can't say that was the antennas fault. I think my mounting locations, etc were more to blame.

6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I know what you did but for others that are surfing for ideas..Yes mike i knew it was you..

7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Im dieing to try somethin i saw on youtube.....A fella mounted a 12" riser with a 102".....
    The 102 gets the very bottom cut off(part with the 3/8 threaded portion on it)and then slides down into the 12" riser like the top mast of a big coil ant..Finally you install on your ant bracket like any ant and now ya tune as you need..I think it will allow more freq range use on these 10/11 m radios..
    Only draw back is that they will be a good bit more flimsy than the 6' 7' firesticks n skip shooters...
    Thats what you worry about later..

8. YMItrucking

Jul 22, 2016
    When I go for some home time, I'm going to order the 7" riser (unless I can find the 10"). I'm still trying to figure out a solution for the flimsiness.

9. YMItrucking

Jul 22, 2016
    I'm running a solid 5" stainless extension on mine as well. So far, it has outperformed the 7' firestik. I wouldn't mind trying a skip shooter tho, but I heard they are a little more flimsier than a firestik.

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Im thinkin the smallest inside diameter water pipe you can get and spray a lil expansion foam inside..Same idea im useing now..

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Orrr a small wooden/plastic like dowel and heat shrinkit to ant
    Just spit ballin ideas..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.