Best cb antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sgonza101, Nov 5, 2018.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Mine was flimsy. I made a brace for it off the top of the mirror. Worked really good. Wasn't as flimsy as a steel whip though!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigDog76

BigDog76 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2020
    I run a 2018 T680, just got a new Cobra 25, but am only picking up reception close to the truck. And was suggested that I replace the antennas. Just curious what would be a good antenna be to get good reception.

4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    That's about as good you'll get on a modern day truck sad to say. You might check all your connections first. It is not uncommon to find problems with the coax connections, even on brand new trucks. The antennas that came on it are probably a multi-band antenna, or one of them is a CB antenna and the other is AM/FM, TV. You might gain a little by replacing the antennas with a dedicated CB antenna; go as long as you can - 4.5ft and above seems to have always worked the best for me. For optimum performance, you will need to run a dedicated coax, of good quality, from your radio to the antenna. Most likely the coax you have now is used for all your radios as well as your TV and runs through multiplexer device. Even after you do all that, you probably won't get the best performance without doing some bonding. The RF ground is terrible on new vehicles....not enough metal in them any more. Do some google searches, there is a lot of information on this subject out there........you can read for hours. Or, talk to somebody with the same truck and a good talking radio, and find out what they did.

5. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    have you noticed what type of Antennas are on T680’s not the stock fire sticks

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Someone did a nice vid on youtube re kenworth set up..I believe it was a white kw..Did a lil paint grinding on mirror arm then did some bonding..

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Measure from your bracket to the ground and subtract that distance from 13' 6" and that will tell you how long the antenna should be.

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Preferably something that's 81" long.
    It might be necessary to fabricate something to reach that height.

9. tomhank

tomhank Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2022
    I have a BTECH radio antenna. It is impressive because of its dual magnet mount. It comes with a 3.25-inch tough rare earth magnet. There is also a rubber cover, which protects the magnet, making sure that it sticks while also preventing rust rings on the surface.

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    How does it perform? How far can you hear?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.