Best CB setup for a new driver

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Nukem, May 14, 2014.

1. nshore harleyguy

nshore harleyguy Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    NH
    And upgrade your ground. I thought I would be good with the factory ground on ny truck but properly grounded the antenna and it made a huge improvement

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SemperFiServices

SemperFiServices Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I run a peaked 29, happy with it. My biggest aggravation is them dang super truckers with the echo turned up so high you can't hear them. Or the jack-hole running 1000 watts that won't shut his pie hole, thinks he's running his own talk show. Even worse, a Georgia driver and echo mike, forget it you ain't understanding a darn thing.....

mickimause Thanks this.
  4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Thank you for all the information. I have a lot to look at in the near future once I get in my own truck.

5. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Nukem, let's keep this simple....

Antenna: Wilson 2000 trucker
    Coax: RG8X
    Radio: Uniden PC 68 or Cobra 25 LTD (I prefer the Uniden)
    SWR meter: Radioshack 21-1534

All of this, well tuned with a 1.5:1 or lower SWR, will get you heard 5-10 miles depending on terrain, time of day, if skip is rolling, etc.

6. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Sounds like a plan to me. :p Thanks!

7. Oxmorel

Oxmorel Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2013
    TX
    Rooster nailed it. The only piece of advice I would give you is to get yourself a decent mount, fiberglass top load antenna (Francis or firestik) and some fair coax. This is because the stock mounts and coax are not always good and can make it almost impossible at times to get your swr in the neighborhood of operating 1:1. Remember... it's not always about the watts or fancy this or that... whatever you decide to run, learn how to use it and set it up properly so it works as efficiently as possible. There is an abundance of information on this topic both here and on many other sites. Good luck.

8. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    heard a great response a couple weeks ago. truck had gone off roading in a I70 EB Indiana mm100 or so ,construction zone early morning. was still backed up coming back through around noon. One real bad attitude driver cussing up a storm. People left and right asking which lane etc., Mr Bad Attitude ripped on a guy who was being helpful, Happened to be just before an exit 94? for a McD's with truck parking. Well Mr Helpful, informed Mr Bad A that " you see that mcdonalds over there? why dont you go park behind there and (&*%^&^^%$#%$@!)" meaning get intimate with yourself.

gave me a real good chuckle.

mickimause Thanks this.
  9. Picklechips

Picklechips Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2014
    My typical junk radio will piss all over your Bearcat.

As far as nonsense goes I like to talk to those guys. Good for a laugh and keeps me awake. Do take yourself so seriously. Have some fun.

10. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Tucker gave you the best advice, IMHO, in regard to a radio. What make/model truck are you driving? Generally the stock coax and antennas are junk. Never key up your mic until you have had your SWR checked......the shop you buy your used Cobra 29 from should check that for you for free.

11. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I don't have a truck yet, will being starting the training with Averitt in a few weeks, so I'll find out then what I'm going to be driving. I have a pretty solid idea of what I'm going to get I think, but as you said; "What truck", is what I have to wait on now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.