Best CB

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Madden29, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Madden29

Madden29 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Can someone tell me what the best CB is out there? I want to get my husband a new CB and im struggling between the connex 33hp or the general Lee but if there's a better one I'll consider that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Out of the box I'd recommend a Cobra 148. The ones you mentioned require a bit of work.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Cobra as rabbi stated.

Slowmover1 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. Madden29

Madden29 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2019
    The one I was looking at said it was peaked and tuned. I also saw a Stryker 955 or 655 that says they were performance tuned.

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Those words mean nothing when spoken by the average "tech".

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Connex 33 and General Lee are basically the same radio. When you chose a radio you need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, the radios you are suggesting are 10 meter dual final export radios that are converted to operate on 11 meters ( cb band) Fcc considers these radios illegal to operate on 11 meter band because they put out more power than a standard cb radio, however that does not prevent the sale or use of them, they are quite popular among drivers. They also have more bands of channels out of the 11 meter frequencies that are also illegal to use, and once again drivers will still operate on channels outside of 11 meters. Examples of legal single final,Am only, 40 channel cb radios are Cobra 25,29, Bearcat 880,980, Galaxy 929,949,959, most of these radios mentioned have stood the test of time and are very popular with drivers. The majority of these radios work fine stock out of the box, however most drivers chose to pay extra for " performance tune" or Peak and Tune to make sure radio is performing at 100 % and boost power and modulation levels above stock, is it necessary ?, that discussion and debate is ongoing and neverending. Good luck with your search, hope this helps.

CousinVinny Thanks this.
  8. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    If I had to chose my favorite export radio it would be the General Lee and my favorite cb radio would be the Cobra 29 ltd classic.

CousinVinny Thanks this.
  9. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    You may also want to visit Cbradiomagazine.com and read his reviews on the radios you are interested in and some of his articles , like whether or not to peak and tune, and other subjects, may help you decide.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  10. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I haven’t owned a 148 Cobra, and as it’s no longer in manufacture, acquisition of a used one is far down the list.

Nevertheless, it is the one radio that is truly legend going back decades. Drivers or Ham operators. Meaning, from those who know next to nothing, to those who’ve proven themselves capable of understanding radio theory & practice.

I agree it would be a fine gift. Problems are that not only are all of them old (ten years or more), but that acquisition of a good one from a distant seller isn’t easy. Not even for the knowledgeable.

It’s technically an AM/SSB Radio. Of those there are choices today which are quite good. A fairly long list.

I would say that for a truck driver, very good AM performance is the greatest satisfaction. The “big radio” sound. (SSB is to my mind an equal requirement if for no other reason than emergency longer distance transmission).

Galaxy Radios have always had a “big sound” with the 10-Meter Export models (2-digit model numbers; 3-digit are “regular” CBs ). SSB performance isn’t quite as good as some others. The Connex has also the “big sound”. (Galaxy long my favorite though I recognize advantages or features of others).

A). Whom to buy from is closer to the heart of problem. What radio is “best” when left untouched (no peak or tuning, etc).

B). Second is size. Many company trucks have a built-in recess for smaller chassis radios (Uniden 980 or Cobra 29) where the antenna coax, power and speaker wiring is located. (A large chassis Galaxy would be the 99v2. I’ve has mine nearly five years. In a smaller chassis I’d go with the 86).

Back to retailers. I’ve had excellent customer service from (and would expect no difficulties in returning an UNTOUCHED radio. Never opened up).

1). Clays Radio (past twenty years)

2). Bobs CB (several orders this past year).

3). Bells CB (several orders, and attention above and beyond).

Of these, Bells has the best website.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    wolverine11 Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You guys ... too funny ...

I would take any cb over any 10 meter/export radio

Why?

Because I found that using a device that was made to be used as it is intended is better than one that wasnt made for what you are going to use it for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.