Best CB?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by EvilGenius, Oct 23, 2021.

1. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    opinions on which cb radio is the best, are like xxxxxxxx...everyone has one...

my opinion go's to the President McKinley for it's size, features, and price tag....pair it with a 1x2 amp and the thing comes alive...

Been running the same one in my Tacoma now for over 3 years, and no plans to change...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2021
    Reason for edit: skirting the filter
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    The simple answer to your question is..............almost any radio can sound like the best out there if it is hooked up to a well sorted out antenna system. You can hook up a $1000+ radio to a junk antenna and it will sound and perform like junk! Get your antenna right and then move up to a bigger better radio.

JMHO
    JD

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Every driver has different needs. Evaluate what you want your radio to do and then search for models that fill the bill. In my case I just want to sound and listen great from one side of the road to the other. When I turn the key off, I turn the radio off. Therefore, I don't need big watts and big antennas.

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  5. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Newbies dont need an amp to sound good or bad..The tech you use decides that..
    How good a bone stock radio sounds and how far it gets depends on antenna and coax you choose which is decided the $ you wish to spend..
    I personally hate spending $ twice but a person has to learn to walk before you run..
    Go reasonablely cheap and make that system roar then move up in quality..
    Lots to learn before you even growl

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  6. weasel

weasel Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Agreed, I thought I heard you one morning last week on 38LSB, and if that was the McKinley it sounded crystal clear. I just purchased one to replace the uniden 980 so I guess I'll see how it differs from the 980..LSB has been kicking butt all week in the early hours...

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    38lsb I was probably on my Cobra 2000 at the house...I do get on ssb every now and then with the McKinley, but usually it's the Cobra.

weasel Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Only true under a single set of circumstances but never true when the work is performed by someone other than the most expensive choice.
    Stock offers the next best value for the dollar spent.

9. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Just ordered a President McKinley. 299 CAD. Plus 5% taxes. Shipping, test and installation included. It arrives on Friday. I hope I made good choice.

10. Singh181

Singh181 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2014
    San Jose, Ca
    Depends what kind of usage your planning from it. A classic cobra 29 ltd is always good. Lately I been using a uniden 505 with roadpro 12 ft coax hooked to a cheap $30 amazon retro looking oil filled coil antenna. Ranger 198 mic and a external uniden speaker and been pretty happy with the results. The most i can hear and talk out has been about 4 miles but its enough for your typical dump truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.