Best cell phone provider with nationwide coverage

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by MacGuy81, Mar 30, 2012.

1. BlackLions

BlackLions Road Train Member

When I started driving OTR I had AT&T, coverage sucked, tried sprint for 30 days, even worse. Tried tmobile for 30 days, good in major cities just like AT&T otherwise they suck. I've even tried cricket before finally going with Verizon after few months of trials. You pay for what you get...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i wouldn't exactly say i pay for what i get. while the coverage may be better. the rest is absolutely the worst. i've never had a rotten phone with sprint. everytime i try verizon there phones suck. and the one i ahve now is the biggest joke for a phone.

i pay up the butt to have the best coverage. but i wouldn't even consider the thought of using my phone on cricket. and even the best coverage hasn't been that hot. my phone totally sucks in montana and the dakotas. but the verizon coverage map says signal won't be a problem.

i've had areas where verizon covers. and i've had areas where sprint covers.

while i understand that no one carrier is going to be perfect. at least sell a decent phone.

4. MacGuy81

MacGuy81 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    I currently have Union Wireless, a local Wyoming cellphone company. I figure there is probably no one else on this forum that has them. I love their coverage, because I've stood on the Continental Divide at Battle Pass in the mountains and had full service. They work where most other companies don't. The only reason I would leave them is because they may drop us when we move from Wyoming to Colorado, as we will be out of our local area. So far I think if we have to chose a different one, it will probably be Sprint.

5. abbott1965

abbott1965 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    From a Verizon phone, you can dial *228, then select option 2 to reprogram the cell tower list. I have had this make a big difference in areas I had not been before. However, if there isn't a tower anywhere close, then you will not get a signal regardless of how much you try to update it.

I agree that the quality of the Verizon phones leaves something to be desired. My daughter goes through them regularly (once or more per year). My new DROID Bionic had real issues when I tried to use it as a hotspot or for tethering (something I was paying $30 per month extra for).

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i got the bionic 2 weeks after it came out. didn't even know it was a brand new model.

it's been nothing but junk since day one. even WITH the updates. it hasn't changed.

7. MacGuy81

MacGuy81 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    I just talked to a Sprint rep here in Cheyenne. She told me that when their service went into roaming, it used Verizon towers. I'm not sure if thats correct or shes trying to make a sale. I was curious if anyone had any insight on this, as it seems too good to be true. Most people recommend Verizon for coverage, but Sprint has the phone I want and hopefully better customer service.

8. jesselandis

jesselandis Bobtail Member

Sprint and att are data roaming from reno nv to lincoln ne. I told sprint the area I was going to be using their sirvice and they wouldnt even sign me up, said too much data roaming. Ive been with att for a long time and every month I have to get my network reset at the beginning of my billing period because they slow my data down due to data roaming but they cant cancel my contract like they want because ive been with them since before they instituted their policy of canceling contracts for over data roaming usage. My partner has verizion and his data is SLOW and has no data in arizona, new mexico, kansas, wyoming, and nebraska.

9. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Kinda late reply..
    But I highly doubt it..unless Verizon gives them bad 3g on purpose.

Where in KS?
    Kansas is 4gLTE pretty much all the way across I70.
    Nebraska is 4gLTE across most of I80 as well with a few crappy spots.
    Wyoming sux..yeah really does.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    actually, wyoming has greatly improved. my new verizon phone works so much better then my last verizon phone.

it actually has better coverage then nebraska now.

11. Boogers

Boogers Light Load Member

I'm with TMobile
    It' been pretty good...I drive the western 11 states so I don't know about their coverage out east.
    I pay $90 for unlimited talk, text, and up to 8.5gb of tethered high speed internet
    atm..I'm in a small town in Cali..and I still have 4g internet...for what it's worth

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.