Best Engine for the Mountains

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cumminsdriver, Apr 18, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    To be fair I had a M11 I think or was it a N11 Cummins a little bit around 370 or so. That engine and midroof volvo's work was all steel, aluminum coil and oil field pipe etc with a aluminum 48 foot spread ravens.

That particular engine was a favorite cummins of mine for that particular work. It was not speedy, it was not a fuel gulper and when you needed to be dainty on your feet (I don't know any other equivilant in english related to handling a heavy truck...) to keep from tipping those coils that engine was it.

It did however burn through two whole engine block computers. The second time I was very lucky never shutting off or I would have found myself requiring a very, truly expensive tow. It burned up and the engine kept running without it.

Most of the other stuff leaning on cummins go back to the big cam days. It's frusterating when you leave say Hanover, get to US 15 for Harrisburg and downshift three gears on every one of those tiny lumps in that road.

The rest of the trucks after the steel was finished was all Detriot. (Thank god...) Ive seen the red top 650 Cummins and they look good but I don't have anyone saying here the keys have at it a hour see how you like it. SO that is the extent of my knowledge.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    I tend to like the pre egr ISX Signature, but it isn't my favorite. We can't get my favorite one here in the US.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    There all pretty good its really all about your customer support and quality service when it comes to picking which engine if you've got the grunt and the hp any brand of engine will do, personally i'd go for the Detroit. 60,000 kg or 60 metric tonne a 610 hp would go well.

5. UnixNerd

UnixNerd Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Because this forum is poorly moderated and filled with people that will guess/make something up/talk out of their ear.

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    At least as far insulting people and using foul language, they're pretty good. Allowing this guy to post, they're not so good.

Tug Toy and DSK333 Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Actually, the forum is very well modded. The mods are all volunteers and most of them are also working full time. They can't be everywhere at once.
    It's not the moderator's job to fact-check every post. If it was there would be twice the number of people doing the job.
    An experienced driver can see through the bull. A short-timer can learn from the older guys.
    I've been a mod and I know that it's a thankless job sometimes and that mods very seldom get the credit they deserve for the job that they do.
    And don't worry too much about X1 Heavy. It doesn't take long to figure out that he's full of hot air. If we get a rookie on here that starts taking x1Heavy's advice too literally we'll help him see the light.

alds, Tug Toy and stwik Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I think he's a retired trucker. He doesn't ever seem to stir up trouble and tries to help if he can. Sometimes posts long winded stories from a long time ago. Some of them might be stretch but honestly what's the harm in that? Kinda like the truck stop counter you know. Just nod your head and grin. There's been way worse comments and people than him by a long shot. What needs moderating? Why does everybody whine over something posted they don't like and go crying to a moderator? Moderators are here to clean up any cussing and eliminate advertisers. Lighten up a little.

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @Bean Jr.

One day I will have to tell you about hitting the top of Cabbage after I didn’t realize the 290 Cummins had overpowered the trailer brakes and liquified them. They were calling for three feet of snow, temps in the -60s, and zero visibility. Someone had stolen both my windshields that night and I woke up a bit chilly.

Anyway, long story short, I forgot to release the brakes on the trailer so I was only going 75 at the top of Cabbage, a little over 100k gross hauling govt vehicles under armed guard. I sure am glad I picked the right gear on the descent. Did I mention it was before trucks had steer axle brakes?

Tug Toy, Ruthless, REO6205 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

He's harmless. Just a retired guy reliving his youth. Can't fault the guy for that. Actually he has been helpful a few times that I can think of. So he may stretch the truth now and then, but who on here doesn't? No sense getting bothered by it.

Tug Toy, x1Heavy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Cabovers going 114 is stretching it a little bit. 140 is beyond the liar' s chair.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.