Best GPS

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Jun 15, 2020.

1. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I love SmartTruckRoute2 on my android phone however you have to keep on eye on it because it will give you some weird routes sometimes. I just drop waypoints if I want a specific route and it figures it out.

As far as doing it old school, that's how I did it initially and it's those skills that usually tips me off that the GPS is doing something weird. Imo, a driver who can't read maps and estimate distances is in trouble either way.

I was trying to get to Big Island, VA once and the GPS was totally lost. I ended up buying a state map.

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    For my 2 cents, I have the rand mcnally tnd80. If I had to use it as my primary gps, I'd be lost 90 percent of the time. Its God goes out. It frequently shows me going 65 mph offroad in the farmers fields, or through the lake. It can be fine for a couple hours until I get close to my stop, and then goes nuts. Its handy for picking truck stops, but take note of miles and exit and do the math on your odometer. I contact rand, and they say to turn on high accuracy, which requires a darn wifi hotspot!
    Just sayin...

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    GPS is simply a tool. An electronic map so to speak. I always use satellite view on Google maps to plan my "final mile" turn by turn and WRITE THEM DOWN. Blindly following ANY GPS unit to any location is a recipe for disaster. Learn to use and read your Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. Learn what STAA Roads are. Always know WHERE you are going before you put your truck in gear. It is called trip planning. The above are a learned skill, nobody is born with those abilities. If you follow the above suggestions on every trip, they will become easier, and you will always end up where you are supposed to be.

5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I have a Rand McNally 730, and have been pleased with it over the 4 years I've had it, but the outdated maps/data is wearing thin and it has completely given up connecting to my PC for updates (which I gather are old anyway) so I am now looking into a Garmin as my next purchase.

I prefer a standalone GPS that doesn't need WiFi or cell data as those are not always available. Don't like using my phone either as I am paranoid about some overeager cop accusing me of texting etc and ticketing accordingly should they see me touch the phone screen to enter a waypoint stop.

6. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Pilot FJ has the Garmin 780 lm on sale for $279 BEFORE $60 mail in rebate. Net cost $219

Redtwin, 88228822 and farmerjohn64 Thank this.
  7. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Appreciate the tips guys

8. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Glad you mentioned this. We only fuel at Loves and they have it for $399 before rebate. Definitely making a stop at a PFJ today.

9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    IMG_20200517_144449.jpg

D.Tibbitt, Redtwin and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  10. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I got mine about 3 weeks ago. Had to stop at about 9 or 10 to find a store that had them in stock. Haven't used it yet. Still use my RM 730. I have the same issue with updates.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Haven't been able to get to a pfj yet. I expect many places will be sold out too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.