Best GPS

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Jun 15, 2020.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho

Sounds like an ok unit... I think I agree with you about the cons, those are features really like about my RM and will miss. How does the unit get power through the mounting base or does a cord plug directly into the unit? Also what style of plug is the charger... Older bullet style or some modern fiddly little thing????

Please check back in a few more weeks and give an update... I'm really interestes in what you think of the routing it chooses, but thus is something that takes a good month or so to really figure out well. So I do look forward to that in the future.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    It uses a mini USB plug,same exact type as my RM 730 actually.

So far routing has been fine. It had me a little worried once. I was travelling from Erie PA to Harrisonburg VA and it was showing a route 21 miles longer than the RM. Couldn't figure out why as the RM would be showing a truck legal route also. Turns out the RM had me getting off the highway and onto a county road, technically truck legal and shorter, but would take longer due to lower speeds etc.

As you say though,need more time with it to feel completely confident. For now I run both GPS side by side and verify routing with Google maps and Hammer .

IMG_20200626_121237931.jpg
    IMG_20200626_121313549.jpg

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Minor correction to what I posted earlier. The Garmin does have a scale alert, a single Bong and the briefest visual on screen notification. If you were not watching the screen intently you would miss it...which evidently I did previously.

The bong is the same as when there is a speed limit change so another reason why I missed it being a scale alert.

6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I like my Garmin 780 alot. It does do a whole bunch. It also will goof me up. Likes to go galavanting through the countryside. When I can just go straight there. It's great in big cities with interchanges. Shows the exact lane you need to be in.
    I seriously consider the newer Garmin. One with dash cam and logs. Also has a seperate backup cam. All that is usable to me.
    still as far as navigating. Have to use google maps for backup. Sometimes I make sure both agree. Have maps too.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    All of those alerts can be customized in the settings. I have used the RM 730 for 4 years. A Garmin has a learning curve, just like any other electronic gizmo on the market today. I am on hometime and have been fiddling with my new Garmin around town. A completely different animal. I am an Android user, hand me your iPhone and I can't even make a ####ing phone call on it. My new Garmin is basically an Android Tablet, so I am familiar with the interface. I believe the RM is based on the old Windows CE interface.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  8. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I haven't yet found out how to customize the alerts. I found how to add an alert but not how to alter it such as give it a different tone.

9. ArcticWolves

ArcticWolves Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    I thought we could only have 1 gps on the window in a certain place otherwise they would write us a lovely citation. I just might try this setup with my rand mcnally gps if that's not the case anymore!

10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    The windshield is about the worst place to mount a GPS. Hard to reach and too much glare at night for me. I have a dash mount with a long arm on my RM. Hangs next to my Q C about 1/2 way below the dash. I am trying to come up with a mount for my new Garmin that will mount BELOW my QC above the cupholders in my T680.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. Imeditate

Imeditate Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Various
    If you know that you will be in questionable service areas, you might want to get the app.
    XHUNT. You can download and store maps for off grid use for all states. It’s cheap for all states.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.