Best magmount antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sgonza101, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I'm looking for the best magmount antenna. California was hit with an earthquake and cell phones were down for some time. So it's time to gear up. I'm debating between these 3 antennas, Stryker Sr-A10, Wilson 1000, and sirio turbo 5000l.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I have this Wilson 1000 magnet mount I use with a Galaxy DX 44V on my Mobile once in a blue moon. Does extremely well. But it’s one of the original Wilson’s, not the knock off Barjunk starting making when they bought them out. B0DC6D1E-086E-4ECC-BC0D-F3F7EFD8C351.jpeg

Sgonza101 Thanks this.
  4. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    How far do you get with that antenna? I've only owned the lil will and it reaches 5 miles.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    You can see it’s been collecting dust. I haven’t use it on any on my newer cars. Didn’t want to scratch the paint on the rooftop. To answer your question, depending on the area, done 5 miles easily and some, you know how it works, depending on conditions. Honestly, I never pushed it cause just use it on my commuter car. Now I just use gps Waze or google maps for traffic. But just keeping for a back up or an emergency just like in your case in the future.

6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    If you can stand 79 inches of antenna on your vehicle's roof, the Sirio wins hands-down for performance, but not by that much.

The Wilson 1000 and Stryker are about 62 inches tall, which is not as good as the taller Sirio, but they would be a bit handier to drive around with.

All of those are great mag mount antennas and will perform as well as any 11 meter vehicle antenna out there, with one exception: the mighty no-coil-needed 9-footer. But, the problem with 9 feet of might is the impracticality that some folks will not put up with. So, they wind up installing it in areas that compromise its performance, such as a bumper or some such place, which may degrade the performance so that it's not advantageous after all compared to the shorter varieties being considered here.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Between those three, the Sirio will perform the best until water gets inside.

Sgonza101 Thanks this.
  8. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    None of them work well with water inside....
    Despite the like or dislike of the people here mark did a youtube vid on makening the sirio water tight....
    Also on the sirio the company makes a adapter which will allow use of a standard 3/8 " fibreglass or other type of antenna..
    Anove someone mentioned it might be difficult to drive around with a tall sirio,i use one on my ram hemi..
    I ordered the larger mag for mine (5",i think)and it comes with a rubber sock sorta speak so it doesnt scratch oaint..Assumeing the surfaces of the car/trk and mag are clean..
    My vote.....Sirio..

Sgonza101 Thanks this.
  9. Naptown Muduck

Naptown Muduck Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I bought a Sirio and was vey disappointed. It came with the plastic piece that holds the coil broken. I called and got a new one. Put it back together, hooked up the analyzer. Resonance was at 60m. My CB guy took it apart, One end of the coil wasn't soldered. ( had to cut the plastic housing off). I was really disappointed. Was planning to take the leap and drill the hole for this antenna.

Sgonza101 Thanks this.
  10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Well you must have had a cpl from mobday hang over or fri rush to get home..Sucks...

11. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    What’s your budget

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.